Need help on decorative crack filling
I'm new at this.  On my first one I used crushed turquoise with a 30 min 2 part epoxy from a model airplane store. It's O.K. but it doesn't knock my socks off like some I've seen on youtube. Actually, it looks a little cloudy.

Here is my unfinished second effort:

I've seen some absolutely beautiful stuff; irridescent; pearlized; all the colors of the rainbow. Where can I learn about the proper materials and how to use them?
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(02-17-2018, 02:06 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: I'm new at this.  On my first one I used crushed turquoise  with a 30 min 2 part epoxy from a model airplane store. It's O.K. but it doesn't knock my socks off like some I've seen on youtube. Actually, it looks a little cloudy.
Maybe up close they are lacking the clarity of other ones you have seen but, it look pretty darn cool to me.  My wife saw some of these at an art show this summer, she really likes this detail.

Having never done this myself I can only use my boat repair experience to gander a guess, the 30 minute epoxy is the culprit.  You are working with the lowest common denominator there.  It is effective as a glue but not as a woodworking finish surface.  I would guess you are seeing an amine blush.  That is the extent of my expertise but just looked it up to refresh myself with it.  Spray some water and use a scotch brite pad to remove the haze.

Try using a better grade epoxy for future projects.

West Systems
Raka 

are two I worked with.  They will have different hardeners, and fillers to give you a lot more control over it's use and final product.  They also have a lot of product literature and support for their usage.  The downside is you will be in for at least a $100 to buy a basic starter kit that will include the hardener and epoxy and pumps.  The ratios vary depending on which hardener you are using anywhere from 2,3 or 5 to 1 mixing ratio.

Raka is mail order and well priced for bulk use.  West Systems will be available at a local Chandlery like West Marine.  Careful of the West System 205 hardener, it will color with age unlike the 206, double check this detail to make sure which does this.  It will still work as a glue but have negative coloration to the final product as a presentable surface.
A carpenter's house is never done.
I don't know if you have Michaels Craft supplies in the US,but they have casting resin and hardener.It dries clear.I have also bought from these folks www.turtlefeathers.com,they carry resins and also glitter and different fillers.Great people to deal with.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(02-18-2018, 10:54 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: I don't know if you have Michaels Craft supplies in the US,but they have casting resin and hardener.It dries clear.I have also bought from these folks www.turtlefeathers.com,they carry resins and also glitter and different fillers.Great people to deal with.

Mel
Thanks Mel. I think you have steered me in the right direction. I have a Hobby Lobby 5 mi away. I checked their website and they carry several brands of clear casting resin. I'm betting they also carry the coloring matrials. My father was from Ontario.

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(02-18-2018, 11:36 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: Thanks Mel. I think you have steered me in the right direction. I have a Hobby Lobby 5 mi away. I checked their website and they carry several brands of clear casting resin. I'm betting they also carry the coloring matrials. My father was from Ontario.

Papa Jim

Jim
They should have what you need,along with the sparkles,and stones.I am a lot farther east than Ontario.Good luck,hope you find some interesting stuff.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member