KC Woodworking show
Anybody make it this year? I didn’t see the breakfast gang thread posted this year like many in the past.

I went this year for the first time in many years. I went often 10-15 years ago when I was just getting started. The event today is half the size as it was even 10 years ago. The attendance is probably half as well. It use to be that you could barely walk through the place or see a demonstration. That wasn’t the case today.

I ended up going with a friend who’s relatively new to woodworking so It was fun showing him certain tools. He had a really good time at the LV booth being able to play with the tools. I had a good time as well. I own LN planes primarily but I have to take my hat off to LV. The plow and dado planes they not only talked about—but put on the market—are top notch in all regards. Their 45 knock off was very impressive. I used it with a 1/4” bead and man it was something else. Made my exceptionally nice 45 feel like a dog. I think LN is loosing out by not going. The LV cash register was smoking every time I was in their booth.

Another huge change was the lack of stationary machinery on display. I got excited to see the Hammer equipment in Chuck Bender’s both but he was there to teach handcut DT’s, which he does very well. Chuck was nice to chat with and handcut DT’s in poplar where effortless for him. The hammer J/P was impressive overall but they really need to beef up the fence for $3-4K it costs. Chuck said it did well though despite my observation of lacking material.

Aside from the LV booth, I really enjoyed hanging out with the KC guild guys at their stand alone benches in their booth. The KC guild did very well and I can’t see how they didn’t make a good impression overall. What a great group of talented woodworkers.

Overall, I’m glad I went but I was surprised the turnout wasn’t better. I hope the KC area woodworkers will continue to support this venue so they keep coming back to KC. No matter how long you’ve practiced the hobby you will still learn something new.—or help teach something new.

I went to the KC Woodworkind show on Saturday. What a disappointment! Last time I went was two years ago, and I think there were twice as many exhibitors then, as compared to now. $14 to get in, $7 to park. I won't be going back.

Carl
Columbus, Ohio has been the same way over the fast few years. So much so, that I haven't gone in a couple of years. I was huge in '90's but seems to be a shell of what it once was. Sign of the times I guess.
(02-17-2018, 07:57 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Anybody make it this year?  I didn’t see the breakfast gang thread posted this year like many in the past.

Hi Damon,
Just recently started looking at WN again in the last few weeks.   Nice to see you are still active here.  

Haven't been to the show for at least 5 years and was intending to go this year but obviously I missed it.  

Mike
The new England show last month, had almost all the same vendors as prior years.
Peach tree takes up a large amount of real estate. The overall floor space taken up was less than prior years, due to the company that sells mostly import junk wasn't there.
The seminars that I attended, had all the seats taken, and people standing in the rear.
My .02
Karl

For the most part, those of us who generally organized the breakfast happened to be out of town that weekend or in my case, I didn't know if I would be in town that weekend (turns out I was able to be in town).

So the breakfast meet-up just didn't happen.

Several years ago, we did a breakfast pancake feed at the KCWG shop and that was a lot of fun. But just haven't been able to get people wound up for that again. It is a lot of work.

Interesting to see ShopSmith back on the show circuit.

I thought the attendance was steady and on a par with the past 5 years. Did a booth count and it was smaller by booth count but it looks like they rented the same square feet as the last time in the building so everybody was able to spread out a bit. For presenters, it really makes it nice because they aren't on top of each other or shouting over the router guy or the guy cutting drill bits in half.

The parking fee was up a bit from last year. Around here, $7 is a bit high for event parking but I can find you a bunch of people from NJ and Boston who would be THRILLED to pay only $7 to park. The walk back to Boston might be a bit much though.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(02-19-2018, 10:09 AM)Rob Young Wrote: The parking fee was up a bit from last year. Around here, $7 is a bit high for event parking but I can find you a bunch of people from NJ and Boston who would be THRILLED to pay only $7 to park.  The walk back to Boston might be a bit much though.

Parking at the NJ (Somerset) show was free.
They moved to Secaucus this year and later, in March. Don't know if parking is free or not.
Link for NJ folks. http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/new-jersey.html
That $7.00 parking fee was the first time I have ever had to pay parking at that show. Maybe once long ago when the show was in the lower part of Bartle Hall.

Rob I asked about you at the Guild booth, and they said you were out goofing off, neglecting your booth duties.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-19-2018, 10:34 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: That $7.00 parking fee was the first time I have ever had to pay parking at that show. Maybe once long ago when the show was in the lower part of Bartle Hall.

Rob I asked about you at the Guild booth, and they said you were out goofing off, neglecting your booth duties.

Ha!  When they were scheduling demos this year, I knew there would be two weekends in February that I'd be out of town, but didn't know EXACTLY which two.  Turns out I bracketed the show weekend.  

Nice to play hooky for a change.
(02-19-2018, 10:16 AM)AgGEM Wrote: Parking at the NJ (Somerset) show was free.
They moved to Secaucus this year and later, in March. Don't know if parking is free or not.
Link for NJ folks. http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/new-jersey.html

I was thinking more along the lines of what it costs to pay for downtown parking in general...

I'm pretty sure last year it was $2 for the parking at the KC show at the Kemper lot.  Maybe free on Sunday (no Sunday slot for the KC show this year though).  It has been free there before and was free parking out at the Overland Park Convention Center and the Airport Convention Center (crappy location though).

The power failed at the Governor's Pavilion during the show this year.  They lost power on the first floor hallway outside the arena.  Besides the snack bar, this also meant the bathrooms were pitch black.  Creepy.