Metal working tools
I know this is a wood site but fairly often I need to work some metal as part of the woodworking project.  Currently I am installing dust collector and have a few tools.  I was trying to cut an already put together 6" duct.  I was using aviation snips to cut the pipe before it was put together.  To cut the built up duct I went to my pancake compressor and a cheap HF rotating cut-off tool and cheap HF wheel.  It was taking forever to get done with the compressor unable to keep up with the tool.  Eventually I broke out the jig saw and it cut right through the remainder very quickly although not very cleanly.

I know the major issue is the compressors lack of ability to keep up with the tool.  I do have a bigger compressor but it is cumbersome and not installed as needed to work, it will be some day.  Is the quality of the HF tool and or abrasive a contributing factor?

Also what tools come in handy for working with metal duct?  I have aviation snips and a crimper.  I have managed to get this far without bleeding but I think only because I have been lucky so far.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-17-2018, 08:04 PM)photobug Wrote: I know this is a wood site but fairly often I need to work some metal as part of the woodworking project.  Currently I am installing dust collector and have a few tools.  I was trying to cut an already put together 6" duct.  I was using aviation snips to cut the pipe before it was put together.  To cut the built up duct I went to my pancake compressor and a cheap HF rotating cut-off tool and cheap HF wheel.  It was taking forever to get done with the compressor unable to keep up with the tool.  Eventually I broke out the jig saw and it cut right through the remainder very quickly although not very cleanly.

I know the major issue is the compressors lack of ability to keep up with the tool.  I do have a bigger compressor but it is cumbersome and not installed as needed to work, it will be some day.  Is the quality of the HF tool and or abrasive a contributing factor?

Also what tools come in handy for working with metal duct?  I have aviation snips and a crimper.  I have managed to get this far without bleeding but I think only because I have been lucky so far.

Your compressor does not have the required CFM I am guessing for most pneumatic tools beyond a brad nailer. Get the larger compressor in order. Plumb it throughout the shop.

Once the compressor is up to date, try a pneumatic Nibbler. Man it makes short work of cutting through sheet metal. It will make a mess though so when cutting through sheetmetal steel keep a large magnet buy and it will catch the little moon shape pieces of metal chaff.

Also an air saw is a dream to use as well.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I use a duct knife and hammer to pierce the metal and put a slot in it, then use the "offset" snips to cut it.

[Image: amcraft_8001_article_1385395250491_en_no...88&hei=188]
[Image: wiss-snips-sidecutters-m6r-64_1000.jpg]
(02-17-2018, 11:10 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Get the larger compressor in order. Plumb it throughout the shop.
That was the plan.  I have a two tank wheeled construction site caliber compressor.  I wired a 220 circuit for it into the crawl space for and pulled the compressor down there.  Once the dust collector is installed the pneumatic system is next.
(02-17-2018, 11:10 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Once the compressor is up to date, try a pneumatic Nibbler. 
Also an air saw is a dream to use as well.

I also have a cheap HF air saw, I tried on a previous project.  Will try that out when bigger compressor is online.
(02-18-2018, 12:54 AM)daddo Wrote: I use a duct knife and hammer to pierce the metal and put a slot in it, then use the "offset" snips to cut it.

Duct knife on my shopping list.  Thanks
I had some metal cutting to do as well, and bought a nice set of offset snips.  The better ones will tell you right on the cardboard description the max gauge they can cut.
[Image: P1070002-L.jpg]

Some of my HF air tools are close to 40 years old, those were my first experiences with air tools, and HF for that matter.   Their air tools are a great buy.

You need a compressor with at least 10 CFM capability or more if you can swing it, and at least a 60 gallon tank.   Verticals don't take up  much room and that size compressor is an oil bath type so its fairly quiet.

The little saw the OP mentioned is what I used to cut sheet metal car panels and pieces years ago.  

Just make it a habit to add 5 drops of air oil into the tool's air nipple each time you pull it out of the drawer, and NEVER USE AND IN LINE OILER, they make one hell of a mess, and, you can't ever use the system for painting.
If you can't get your bigger compressor up and running for that air cutter, go to HF and get a $15.00 4" electric grinder and a package of abrasive cutoff blades for it. Being electric, you won't run out of air. 
Winkgrin

And, I think that grinder comes with a 4" grinding wheel.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-17-2018, 08:04 PM)photobug Wrote: I know this is a wood site but fairly often I need to work some metal as part of the woodworking project.  Currently I am installing dust collector and have a few tools.  I was trying to cut an already put together 6" duct.  I was using aviation snips to cut the pipe before it was put together.  To cut the built up duct I went to my pancake compressor and a cheap HF rotating cut-off tool and cheap HF wheel.  It was taking forever to get done with the compressor unable to keep up with the tool.  Eventually I broke out the jig saw and it cut right through the remainder very quickly although not very cleanly.

What Mike said

Also now a days I just use power tools to cut metal like a cut off wheel on a grinder or my Drumel with a cutting wheel which does really well also.  For the Drumel they have sold a small metal wheel with teeth which is 2.5" long and it does really well to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-22-2018, 06:52 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: If you can't get your bigger compressor up and running for that air cutter, go to HF and get a $15.00 4" electric grinder and a package of abrasive cutoff blades for it. Being electric, you won't run out of air. 
Winkgrin

And, I think that grinder comes with a 4" grinding wheel.

I have an angle grinder.  It is my second choice in the past because the cutting implement is much wider.  But I guess I can afford to lose 1/8" of metal.

(02-22-2018, 08:58 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What Mike said

Also now a days I just use power tools to cut metal like a cut off wheel on a grinder or my Drumel with a cutting wheel which does really well also.  For the Drumel they have sold a small metal wheel with teeth which is 2.5" long and it does really well to.

I also use my dremel for metal but not sure if I had the patience to use it for a 6" duct.  My main problem with the dremel is how fast the metal blades wear out and the effort it takes to replace it.  Last time i had a large metal thing to cut, I promised myself to get extra mandrels for the metal cutting blades so I could have 3 blades ready to cut lined up to be able to spend more time cutting and less time swapping out blades.