Detail carving technique
Small handles on a small box will have recesses on the ends for finger grips. The recesses are slightly irregular (kidney shaped, if amoebas had kidneys) and are just large and deep enough to get a fingertip into, barely. The recesses are in end grain. They are too small to leave gouge marks for texture (that would look sloppy and unfinished). I hesitate to sand, because my hope is to get crisp edges and sandpaper tends to round.

Any suggestions for how to smooth them?

Thanks in advance.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(02-17-2018, 10:06 PM)Aram Wrote: Small handles on a small box will have recesses on the ends for finger grips. The recesses are slightly irregular (kidney shaped, if amoebas had kidneys) and are just large and deep enough to get a fingertip into, barely. The recesses are in end grain. They are too small to leave gouge marks for texture (that would look sloppy and unfinished). I hesitate to sand, because my hope is to get crisp edges and sandpaper tends to round.

Thanks in advance.

Use your carving gouges for crisp, clean finish. Or, sand with paper over hard form matching the insets. 

You lock yourself into a problem with no technical solution?  There is always a "key".
(02-17-2018, 11:18 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Use your carving gouges for crisp, clean finish. Or, sand with paper over hard form matching the insets. 

Yes, that's what I'm doing. But the gouges leave marks -- not many if I am careful, but marks nonetheless -- and the marks look sloppy.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I'm not sure this fits what you are talking about, but have you thought of boning / burnishing?
Here is a pic I showed a while back on using an antler-tip for burnishinig.

Chris

Chris
(02-17-2018, 10:06 PM)Aram Wrote: Small handles on a small box will have recesses on the ends for finger grips. The recesses are slightly irregular (kidney shaped, if amoebas had kidneys) and are just large and deep enough to get a fingertip into, barely. The recesses are in end grain. They are too small to leave gouge marks for texture (that would look sloppy and unfinished). I hesitate to sand, because my hope is to get crisp edges and sandpaper tends to round.

Thanks in advance.
How about making a fine scraper Like the small ones shown in the thread {video} on scrapers that conform to the shape of the gouges...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOV9QYiMTw&t=1835s
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-18-2018, 02:57 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........
How about making a fine scraper Like the small ones shown in the thread {video} on scrapers that conform to the shape of the gouges...

I tried that! It worked on a previous project but it seems to work best with the grain. It doesn't seem to be as useful in end grain unfortunately.
Best,
Aram, always learning