Ocsillating Spindle Sander?
(02-20-2018, 03:35 PM)SpiderDave Wrote: Hey Pondracer, are those Grizzly's really all that bad about the spindles getting stuck or difficult to remove? I'm considering this machine and saw a video on that. Seems a tapered spindle would be more stable to me. Worth the occasional stubborn spindle, if there was one. BTW, How is it for noise? 

Here's the video I was watching that made me curious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6nGrTJgz4Q

I have hade the Go1071 for over 5 years and have never had problems removing the spindles.  The tool is super quiet.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
While they don't come up for sale often, Clayton made an excellent oss.

Ed
I hear a lot of people that really like their Rigid tools. I've always had really good luck with them too. Recently I bought a 12' DeWalt compound mitre saw to replace what the 12" rigid couldn't do for the last 10 yrs. Decided to upgrade, I wasn't sure if I liked the DeWalt at first, but I warmed up to it. (Heavy) I do miss that Rigid sometimes though. Man, when you pulled the trigger it was 'instant' power/blade speed. That thing was bullet proof. Slice through a 4x4 with a dull blade like it was butter. I would've never replaced it, except I needed the radius cut and few tricks my Rigid couldn't do. My buddy, he's building a shop now. I gave it to him for helping me unload my pickup of materials. He's lovin' it, so it got a good home now. I know it's not about speed all the time especially where safety is concerned. But man, that was the fastest & smoothest cutting tool I've ever owned. For repetitious cuts you could really save serious time. It was best to screw it down into your saw horses or at least hang onto it during the first initial trigger pull. Ha!

I sold a few things on Craig's List,last week and I decided to break down and just order the Grizzly G1071. Gets frustrating when you keep trying to get something and your always the 3rd guy on the waiting list, and the phone never rings. Plus the time I spend researching and checking ad's and so on. I just thought, well it's been a good try over the last 8 months for a spindle sander but I'm running out of time waiting - trying to save $'s etc. and loosing more time than anything. Though I have to say, I have learned a lot - thanks to all of you. 

Oh and yesterday the gentlemen who was selling the spindle sander called and said if I was still interested that I was welcome to it. The guy he was holding it for all week, flaked out on him. Really super nice guy and I hated letting him down after he kept me in mind. If only I'd waited one more day - just my luck. But at least I'll start off with something more parts available and a warranty etc. He was happy for me and talked a bit. So it all worked out. Just need to get on it now and make a roller dolly for it before it gets here.   Thank you all for the opinions and advice, it was very much appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same for you or someone else as well.
(02-23-2018, 11:19 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,
I made a couple of brass infill planes with my Ridged...it's a good tool for the money IMO.

(02-24-2018, 03:29 PM)cvillewood Wrote: I have a Porter Cable S-1 that’s up for a restoration in the near future. Got it for $150 at Auction and need to add a vfd. It will replace my dinky (but useful and inexpensive) Ridgid.
(02-25-2018, 04:34 PM)SpiderDave Wrote: I hear a lot of people that really like their Rigid tools. I've always had really good luck with them too. Recently I bought a 12' DeWalt compound mitre saw to replace what the 12" rigid couldn't do for the last 10 yrs. Decided to upgrade, I wasn't sure if I liked the DeWalt at first, but I warmed up to it. (Heavy) I do miss that Rigid sometimes though. Man, when you pulled the trigger it was 'instant' power/blade speed. That thing was bullet proof. Slice through a 4x4 with a dull blade like it was butter. I would've never replaced it, except I needed the radius cut and few tricks my Rigid couldn't do. My buddy, he's building a shop now. I gave it to him for helping me unload my pickup of materials. He's lovin' it, so it got a good home now. I know it's not about speed all the time especially where safety is concerned. But man, that was the fastest & smoothest cutting tool I've ever owned. For repetitious cuts you could really save serious time. It was best to screw it down into your saw horses or at least hang onto it during the first initial trigger pull. Ha!

I sold a few things on Craig's List,last week and I decided to break down and just order the Grizzly G1071. Gets frustrating when you keep trying to get something and your always the 3rd guy on the waiting list, and the phone never rings. Plus the time I spend researching and checking ad's and so on. I just thought, well it's been a good try over the last 8 months for a spindle sander but I'm running out of time waiting - trying to save $'s etc. and loosing more time than anything. Though I have to say, I have learned a lot - thanks to all of you. 

Oh and yesterday the gentlemen who was selling the spindle sander called and said if I was still interested that I was welcome to it. The guy he was holding it for all week, flaked out on him. Really super nice guy and I hated letting him down after he kept me in mind. If only I'd waited one more day - just my luck. But at least I'll start off with something more parts available and a warranty etc. He was happy for me and talked a bit. So it all worked out. Just need to get on it now and make a roller dolly for it before it gets here.   Thank you all for the opinions and advice, it was very much appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same for you or someone else as well.

If you ever see a clayton in good shape get it, you can get the rubber sleaves of amazon, the rest at ace, I got one for 150.- in excellent shape sold my jet for twice what I got this for, it is superior to the jet bench top.
(02-25-2018, 07:02 PM)wing nut Wrote: If you ever see a clayton in good shape get it, you can get the rubber sleaves of amazon, the rest at ace, I got one for 150.- in excellent shape sold my jet for twice what I got this for, it is superior to the jet bench top.

I did a search, those are nice looking sanders! Good motor even.