Big box store displays
As I begin my journey into the woodworking world, I've been doing my research on the table saw I want to get. I don't have a lot to spend, but I can spend $600. I've settled on two choices, the Delta 36-725 and the Ridgid R4512. Being new to the world of woodworking, I don't know where else to go, to put my hands on either one of these saws, other than the big box stores. It's been very disappointing.

As a guitar player, I am very familiar with going into a big box music store and finding it hard to put my hands on a decent display model of something I'm looking at. With guitars, finding a decent model to play is only half the battle. You also have to contend with all the noise. The shopping experience can be very frustrating. If you go to a mom & pop shop, they will have a very limited selection and a lot of will be high-end stuff.

Getting back to table saws, The HD's around me don't display table saws. That is to say, they don't set them up and put on the floor. If you're lucky, there's a couple of job site saws on a shelf, but the table is above eye level. Lowe's, on the other hand, usually has 5-6 models on full display. Their whole tool section is 10 times better than HD. However, finding a decent model to put your hands on at Lowe's, is a crap shoot.

All of the ones I've been to have the Delta saw on display. They've all been in various forms of disarray making it impossible to get any sense of what you might like about it. Yesterday, I came across a Lowe's that really has no idea how to display a table saw.

In my mind, since I can't turn the saw on and watch it in action, the central feature I want to feel out is the fence. However, all the display models I've come across are so badly put together or beaten up by looky-loo's that there's no way you make an accurate assessment. Yesterday, I walked up to this Delta display model and was struck by how neat it looked and I thought, "ah, cool. I can finally see what these are like". I grab the fence, can't move it. Look for the level to unlock it, missing. I look at a Bosch sitting next to it, try to pull the lever up to unlock the fence, no dice. It's as though they are all securely fastened to the saw so they can't be stolen.

Bottom line, it's been a real disappointment shopping for a table saw, not unlike shopping for a guitar. These stores want you to spend your money with them, but they give you nothing to base your decision on. Frustrating.
look for used and go a bit further and find saws that are connected to power.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-18-2018, 12:48 PM)Bob10 Wrote: look for used and go a bit further and find saws that are connected to power.

+1.  Go for a used contractors saw.  None of the new stuff in HD or Lowes will be worth buying.
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
I never thought about it... but you're right. I haven't seen a table saw setup on display, to ever tempt me to replace mine.

I bought the rigid table saw, 18 years ago and I'm content with it. Rigid stands by their products (or at least they used to and I presume they still do) I suppose Delta does too. The fence is one of several things that are important.

The other is trunion trueness. Most saws have a trunion adjustment. This is trueness between the miter slots and the sawblade (in other words, do the miter slots and the saw blade and the fence all run exactly together, how "True" is it all).

Another quality to look for is how consistent (in width) is the miter slots through its length. My rigid varied a bit, to the point where I had to sand it to true. (Which is doable, because I made a stick of maple wood, to ride in the miter groove and it would hang up in a certain area of the miter slot. I made a 2nd stick a little undersized, so I could attach sandpaper to it to sand it closer to true)

As mentioned a 2nd hand one would probably get you a decent table saw for less money than new, but of course, you have to be pretty savy about what you are buying, because there is no warranty at all.

If you do find a store with a good display (outside of the big boxes), you will be spending a lot more money than $600.

Good luck in your quest.
I remember the day when stores did have accurate displays. This includes Sears, Lowe's and Home Depot. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. I bought a Hitachi router that was a display model, it did not include the wrenches, a case, 1 of the collets or the fixed base. I walked into Lowe's the other day and now they cut the power cords. It's ridiculous that " the big 3 " don't have accurate displays for the stuff they sell. I have also looked at the table saw displays in Lowe's and it's crazy that they don't assemble them correctly. As has been stated, the fences don't lock, the tables aren't level, parts are missing and most times, you can't even raise and lower the blade to test drive it.

I agree with others, look for a used saw. Most times, you can go make a test cut or 2. Good luck.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Not knowing your location or your woodworking intentions.... A used cabinet saw may last your lifetime, depending on your usage.  Does it need to be portable??? Do you have 220V available and the room to use it? Bosch, DeWalt and Rigid make some pretty good portable saws.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I'd hesitate to buy anything branded Delta. They are throwaway tools in my opinion, every since they abandoned the parts business. Once the saw is out of production, I'd have to question the parts availability, based on their past attitudes.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You didn't say where you are but you might google up either woodcraft or just a local tool supplier.  Even if you have to drive a little bit it might be worth it to see decent saws and proper set up by someone who knows.  I'd consider anything at Lowes or HD to be job site at best without the accuracy or power for serious woodworking. 

To be honest at that price range, you might look at a good track saw set up like Dewalt or Festool.  I haven't used one, but they might be the best bet for a small hobby woodworker.  If I didn't already have one of the old US made Delta's I'd seriously look at a track saw and band saw rather than most of the table saws out there, unless I could afford a SS.
Since you're just starting your woodworking habit I'd like to offer some thoughts. After 30 years in the hobby I've been through 4 table saws starting with an used Rockwell from the 50s or 60s. That old Rockwell was built like a tank and included a cast iron table and wings. It allowed me to get my feet wet. The only reason I gave that saw away is because a friend gave me a Craftsman contractor with cast iron wings. I replaced the original fence with an aftermarket which provided considerably more accuracy. Eventually, I needed more power and bought a used Jet 3 HP cabinet saw. All three saws had their strengths and were instrumental in allowing me to get into woodworking. The bottom line is look for a good used table saw. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of the saws I mentioned.

Unless you need the sparkle of new, spend a little time researching used machines. I just checked the Nashville craigslist and found 2 saws worth looking at. One was a Craftsman contractor with cast iron wings like I had for $150, and the other is an older Delta Unisaw cabinet style for $500.

To continue with the guitar analogy, you wouldn't tell a new wannabe player to buy a $1500 Martin when the $250 Yamaha will give them a taste of what playing a guitar is like. If the student likes playing and shows some talent, then move them up to the next level. Think about buying a good used saw that will last you until you're ready for the next step.

Oh, by the way, after 30 years of woodworking I just bought my first brand new table saw - a SawStop Professional. Seems my wife likes the idea of me keeping all my fingers!

Have fun looking for a table saw and enjoy the hobby. Let us know what you decide to do.

Doug
If there is a woodcraft, rockler or other store within a reasonable drive, that would be the place to go. Not only do they have lots of tools to put your hands on, usually their employees know something about the tools and woodworking so they can answer some questions.

As for buying, go used. Post your location and folks here may be able to help scare up some potential bargains. Good luck