Big box store displays
If you go Ridgid remember to sign your saw up online for the Lifetime Service Agreement!! If something bad happens to it 15yrs later and they cant fix it for free,, you get the most comparable saw for free.
You've been given some pretty sage advice, IMO - no new Delta and keep on looking for something used. There will be cabinet saws out there in your price range if you are patient. Classified ads and Craigslist are your friend. Older Delta contractor or Unisaws, anything Powermatic and Jet are just three of the better known brands of very good used table saws. I've personally owned a PM contractor saw and a Delta Unisaw. I now have a Sawstop PCS (the only new tablesaw I've ever bought) and could not be more pleased with it.

You mentioned two things that drew my attention: 1) you are new to woodworking and 2) you are a guitar player. Since the tablesaw can potentially be the tool that can do the most damage personally, I would recommend that you invest some time and money (if necessary) in tablesaw safety. Check out the local votech ed center for a class, and/or a local WW club or Guild that might be of help. There are probably some good videos also on YouTube.

Just to reiterate about the equipment - new saws in Big Box stores are probably going to be a disappointment. Users/owners here seem to have had pretty good luck with a couple of the older Ridgid contractor models (the only caveat). I like Ridgid tools but would rather have an older name brand contractor saw than a new Ridgid - YMMV.

Good luck,

Doug
(02-18-2018, 12:39 PM)Hobbywood Wrote: As I begin my journey into the woodworking world, I've been doing my research on the table saw I want to get. I don't have a lot to spend, but I can spend $600. I've settled on two choices, the Delta 36-725 and the Ridgid R4512. Being new to the world of woodworking, I don't know where else to go, to put my hands on either one of these saws, other than the big box stores. It's been very disappointing.

I think you'll have to base your decision about which of these two saws to buy on research (reviews), unless you can find a couple of woodworkers who own these saws and are willing to demonstrate them for you. The woodworkers at LumberJocks have written detailed reviews (including comments from others) about both of the saws, and also the Craftsman 21833 which is essentially the same saw as the Ridgid R4512. All three saws get generally good reviews.

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/product/3686

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/product/2039

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/product/1058

A lot of people own either the Delta 36-725 or the Ridgid R4512 and seem to be happy with their purchases. If you decide to buy new instead of used, both of these saws appear to be reasonably good entry-level saws.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-Am...%7Brest%7D+ -- 790 reviews

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-13-Amp-10...w/50081568 -- 200 reviews

delta 36-725 vs ridgid r4512
Thank you all for the great advice. I was surprised to see so many responses so quickly.

I've looked on Craigslist and the stuff is either out of my price range or too knarly looking to even want to plug in. BTW, I'm in San Antonio, TX.

There is a Delta contractors saw for $500. It has a nice big table and it is belt-driven however, the cast iron top is all rusted. I'm sure with a little elbow grease, it could be good as new. It's a sign of neglect and what does that mean for the rest of the saw.

The nearest Rockler stores are in Dallas and Houston. 4 hrs away. There is a Woodcraft store in town. As I had said, I'm new to this world so I had no idea this store even existed. I will be visiting there very soon, and often.

I do need portability. I only have a small portion of our 2.5 car garage so I want to be able to move the saw around (as well as my work table) from a working position to a storage position. I also don't want a jobsite saw. And since I can't afford a cabinet saw, the Ridgid makes the most sense.

I have done a lot of research over the last month. Lots of reviews and videos. I think I've looked at every video on YouTube about assembling and adjusting the Ridgid saw. The lifetime service agreement is the tipping point for me.

I have limited means for buying equipment, and especially for paying to repair something, so I'm looking long term. I have the money to buy something now and I want to be able to afford to repair it if it breaks down. The Ridgid seems like the best choice in that regard.

Just a little background, I'm not entirely new to woodworking. My brother-in-law gave me his old Craftsman table saw and miter saw about 5 years ago. I used them to lay some hardwood flooring and I used them recently to build an enclosure for our daughter's bearded dragon. I've always loved building things and doing that enclosure really pushed me over the edge as far as jumping into woodworking as a hobby. Model railroading has always been my other hobby but I've come to realize that I will never have the space to enjoy it like I want to. Making things is definitely not new to me.

When I first used the table saw, I used any scrap piece of wood that was handy to keep my hands away from the blade. I have a healthy respect for anything that has the potential for altering my life. I'm a programmer and I play bass in a band. I need my hands. I might like being retired (if I injured my hands and couldn't type anymore) but I can't live without making music. Woodworking will be a fun hobby and I like what I do professionally, but music is my passion. Believe me, safety is always on my mind.

Aside from building an outfeed table/workbench, I have a nice list of projects to start me out with. Slide-out shelves for our kitchen cabinets, some drawers in our closet and my daughter wants me to make a vanity mirror with lights. I've looked at a lot of videos on all these projects, and more. I know I can do those things and I can't wait to get started.

I appreciate all the good advice. I'm always wanting to learn so keep it comin'.
(02-19-2018, 09:19 AM)Hobbywood Wrote: I do need portability. I only have a small portion of our 2.5 car garage so I want to be able to move the saw around (as well as my work table) from a working position to a storage position. I also don't want a jobsite saw. And since I can't afford a cabinet saw, the Ridgid makes the most sense.

That Rigid saw is just okay.  I had the older version of it when i lived away from my house and did not have a full shop setup.  The older model was better based on reviews.  I bought it used and sold it when I replaced it with the Dewalt DEWALT DWE7491RS.

I wanted a saw with a riving knife and the newer Rigid did not get as good of review.  Also the Dewalt had a 32 inch capacity which is really nice.  Even though I have a cabinet saw now I keep my Dewalt to be used when I want to setup outside.  I got it onsale at Lowes for around $500.  IMO it is worth the extra money.

If you do decide to go used I think you could get more for your money than a contractor saw.  Don't be afraid of a rusty table top, as long as the rest looks okay.  It will take a little work to clean up but will clean up nicely.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-19-2018, 09:19 AM)Hobbywood Wrote: Thank you all for the great advice. I was surprised to see so many responses so quickly.

I've looked on Craigslist and the stuff is either out of my price range or too knarly looking to even want to plug in. BTW, I'm in San Antonio, TX.

There is a Delta contractors saw for $500. It has a nice big table and it is belt-driven however, the cast iron top is all rusted. I'm sure with a little elbow grease, it could be good as new. It's a sign of neglect and what does that mean for the rest of the saw.

The nearest Rockler stores are in Dallas and Houston. 4 hrs away. There is a Woodcraft store in town. As I had said, I'm new to this world so I had no idea this store even existed. I will be visiting there very soon, and often.

I do need portability. I only have a small portion of our 2.5 car garage so I want to be able to move the saw around (as well as my work table) from a working position to a storage position. I also don't want a jobsite saw. And since I can't afford a cabinet saw, the Ridgid makes the most sense.

I have done a lot of research over the last month. Lots of reviews and videos. I think I've looked at every video on YouTube about assembling and adjusting the Ridgid saw. The lifetime service agreement is the tipping point for me.

I have limited means for buying equipment, and especially for paying to repair something, so I'm looking long term. I have the money to buy something now and I want to be able to afford to repair it if it breaks down. The Ridgid seems like the best choice in that regard.

Just a little background, I'm not entirely new to woodworking. My brother-in-law gave me his old Craftsman table saw and miter saw about 5 years ago. I used them to lay some hardwood flooring and I used them recently to build an enclosure for our daughter's bearded dragon. I've always loved building things and doing that enclosure really pushed me over the edge as far as jumping into woodworking as a hobby. Model railroading has always been my other hobby but I've come to realize that I will never have the space to enjoy it like I want to. Making things is definitely not new to me.

When I first used the table saw, I used any scrap piece of wood that was handy to keep my hands away from the blade. I have a healthy respect for anything that has the potential for altering my life. I'm a programmer and I play bass in a band. I need my hands. I might like being retired (if I injured my hands and couldn't type anymore) but I can't live without making music. Woodworking will be a fun hobby and I like what I do professionally, but music is my passion. Believe me, safety is always on my mind.

Aside from building an outfeed table/workbench, I have a nice list of projects to start me out with. Slide-out shelves for our kitchen cabinets, some drawers in our closet and my daughter wants me to make a vanity mirror with lights. I've looked at a lot of videos on all these projects, and more. I know I can do those things and I can't wait to get started.

I appreciate all the good advice. I'm always wanting to learn so keep it comin'.

As for rusty cast that could happen in a garage if someone left a door open overnight.  Cast wants to rust even more than weeds want to grow
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Patience is your friend. Since you live in San Antonio, Austin is not that far away and my guess is that between the two Craiglists, eventually an older 3 HP cabinet saw will come available on one or the other. Someone here recently referenced a Unisaw on a Craiglist somewhere for $500. You can clean up and fix up an old saw pretty easily as they are pretty simple machines.

As for mobility, unless you need to take it to another site, a mobile base will work quite nicely. Every stationary machine in my shop sits on one, not that it's always needed, but is handy when necessary.

Doug
I was originally looking at the Ridgid R4513 as well as that DeWalt saw and also the Hitachi and Bosch saws of the same class.

My thinking was I would fold up the table saw and build a mobile stand for my miter saw. I preferred the folding stands of the Ridgid and Bosch saws. I was not hip to the style of the DeWalt saw. With the Ridgid and Bosch saws, it seems like a more effortless task of folding and unfolding the stand. The DeWalt requires some lifting. Not that I'm disabled or a weakling, it just seemed more reasonable to not require the user to strain themselves if it wasn't necessary.

My thinking has evolved into having a more substantial base to work from and I could buy a folding stand for the miter saw.

I do like the other features of the DeWalt, e.g. rack and pinion fence, the lever for removing/installing the riving knife, to name a few. It really was the stand that put me off. And again, the lifetime service agreement of the Ridgid was something that nobody else could touch. And with all other things being equal, why not go with the protection?

The advice from this thread has given me pause to look at more expensive saws. There are a couple of Jet models that are in my price range (total budget-wise), but then I would have less for other things I want to get during this initial acquisition phase. Plus, there's the thinking that one doesn't need to spend a boat load when they're just beginning. Why spend $2500 on a Martin when a $300 Yamaha will get you started. I did just that buying my first bass 2-3 years ago. I went with a $300 Squier instead of a $1500 Fender.

I may take a look at that $500 Delta saw I found on Craigslist (the one with the rusty top). It would certainly be "more saw" and it would save me $100. I'm also a few weeks away from making the purchase too so maybe something else will pop up on Craigslist.

If I really get into this hobby and don't lose interest, and I think I will, I'll start putting away my gig money so I can move up to a better saw in a few years. Until then, unless something attractive comes up on Craigslist, I think I have my mind made up on the Ridgid. I do wish I could see one set up at a Home Depot though. Darn big box stores.
Did you see this one?  Seems to be what you are looking for 

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/d/...63623.html
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-19-2018, 04:12 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Did you see this one?  Seems to be what you are looking for 

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/d/...63623.html

Yes I did.

This model was sold without a fence. The 36-980 was sold with a fence. A Delta fence system is $300. So for $57 more (before tax on the Ridgid), I can get an old saw. Judging from dates on reviews and forum posts, this saw could easily be 10 yrs old and is out of production.

Not very attractive, to tell you the truth.