Not very happy with Bridge City tools CS.
(02-20-2018, 01:13 PM)iublue Wrote: All I know is what they told me when I called about sending in my tools.

Maybe a portion of the company has been sold??

Maybe they outsourced customer support.  

When I looked at the website they had a blog from the owner that talked about doing this 25 years... too stubborn to quit.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-20-2018, 03:18 PM)photobug Wrote: Maybe they outsourced customer support.  

When I looked at the website they had a blog from the owner that talked about doing this 25 years... too stubborn to quit.

With the customer service described here, the choice whether or not to quit might be taken out of the owner's hands.
(02-21-2018, 07:06 AM)WxMan Wrote: With the customer service described here, the choice whether or not to quit might be taken out of the owner's hands.

I just sent an email to the companies support address with a link to this thread.  They should see this and know what's going on.

The reason I would spend this kind of money on a tool is twofold.

It's a very nice tool.

I like the company that makes it.  I like what they make, how they make it, how they treat their customers, and how they treat their employees.

I would not spend money at a company without a good reputation if there was an alternative source.  Lee Valley comes to mind.  If I wanted a really high end plane, I would look for an individual or very small shop, where I felt I know the actual maker, and am supporting an artist at work.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-19-2018, 08:49 AM)iublue Wrote: I purchased several Bridge City tools ~30 years ago.  At the time they had a policy that you could send in the tool at any time and they would clean and re-calibrate them for free, only shipping costs applied.

Well, of course, the company was sold.  A couple of years ago, I contacted the new company and was informed that the previous policy did not apply BUT I could join their Founders Club (for $75) and then it would only cost me $5 per tool for the same service.

I decided to join the FC and I phone the company to see what the procedure was to submit my tools.  First the lady told me the steps to go through and then she proceeded to actively discourage me from sending in my tools.  She stated it would be a 14-16 week turn around.  That was not an issue with me so I sent them in on 7-31-17.  They received them about a week later.

I called on 1-25-18 which was right at 25 weeks.  I was told that they were not done and they had at least one tool from 2016 still not done!!  That particular tool had been there for over a year!!  I tried several times to ask the lady WHY I was told 14-16 weeks when they had a tool for over a year but she continually interrupted me with a response of "That was the lead time when you called".  How can that be the lead time when you have had a tool for over a year?????  She even said that they only have a part time guy doing this work and he can't keep up.  I kept my cool and I have not called since.

Outside of bitching on this forum, does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do?  I thought about calling and asking to speak with a manager but who knows, maybe she was the manager!

Hi @iublue

I spoke with you on the 25th on January and I apologize if you left more frustrated than ever after speaking about your tool on repair. I also see discrepancies and misunderstandings between our conversation, and hope to clarify and rectify it in good faith.

I did not perceive my responses to you as rude or dismissive, as I tried to explain the best I can the situation, and apologize greatly if I came off impersonal or unprofessional, as I do not recall acting that way at all and is certainly not my intention nor in my characteristic to do so.

Our Founder’s circle membership cost is $45 and has not changed price since at least 2008. It is an annual fee (that is not auto-renewed) for those that find savings in tool purchases and avail of repairs. I believe the $75 fee you are speaking off was a “Founder’s Circle Plus membership” that has not been offered since 2010—which was eight years ago—so I’m not quite sure when the last time you spoke with someone about it as I have been with the company for the past 7 years and have not offered nor spoken about a $75 membership to anyone who has inquired about the Founder’s Circle program.

We do not outsource phone calls/email inquiries and are a much smaller boutique company compared to when we started 35 years ago. I’m unsure if you are aware but Bridge City Tool Works, Inc actually went under in early 2001 and legally we are Fine Tools LLC dba (doing business as) Bridge City Tool Works. I'm uncertain if you were aware as well that the reason why we cannot replace parts/tools as majority of the spare parts we had back then were sold by the bank when Bridge City Tool Works, Inc went under in the early 2000's (e.g. they melted majority of the brass parts to sell it as a wholesale price). The policy of the lifetime guarantee was established during Bridge City Tool Works, Inc, and not during Fine Tool LLC’s time.

The company restructured over the years to continue being able to produce quality woodworking tools using different materials (stainless steel/aircraft aluminum), and we do our best to still service tools we no longer make. We also have a much smaller employee count from when Bridge City Tool Works, Inc was in place. We do not have a warehouse facility with spare parts/tools nor the original fixtures or machines that created these wood and brass tools back in the day—those were mostly taken by the bank at that time. That is also one of the reasons why when we tackle repairs of our discontinued tools, it may take us days/weeks to repair one tool because we do not have the original fixtures anymore and tread extremely carefully if we have to take them apart and put them back together, as we cannot replace it if it breaks while in repairs.  

I understand that your tools are of great value to you and your workshop. Unfortunately, unforeseen circumstances outside our control happen and creates much frustration in delaying timelines in repairing tools we have not made in over a decade nor have the original fixtures to turn it around as quickly as we used to when we had the facility to do so.

Around the time that you called, we also had a recent change in personnel which left us without a dedicated person to work on repairs on our discontinued tools. I apologize if I was unable to give you an estimate when the repairs would be completed at that time as well.

At this time, John is currently away from the office (not in China, still in the US) on a work retreat until the 6th of March. Upon his return, I would be happy to have him check on your tools and assess if they are repairable or not and contact you immediately after his assessment. (He is currently the only one with the knowledge base when it comes to assessing our discontinued tools). I would be glad to discuss with you what your options may be moving forward at that time, albeit limited to the circumstances that is present right now. You may contact me directly at Consuelo@BridgeCityTools.com or at our phone number 503-282-6997 extension 204.

I understand and can respect you are simply looking for a good experience from Bridge City. We strive to provide quality tools alongside great customer service by being proactive and responsive to all our customers. As with any company, we are constantly evolving and encourage constructive customer feedback that can help migrate us to provide the best experience for our customers alongside providing quality woodworking tools.  I hope you believe me that the frustration in not being able to help customers get their discontinued tools back right away is felt on our side as well, and we are actively trying to figure out a workable solution to get these resolved in a timely manner.

I greatly apologize again for your experience and hope that our paths will cross again under sunnier skies.

In good faith,
Consuelo Cao
Customer Service Manager
(02-21-2018, 02:36 PM)consuelowithbridgecity Wrote: Hi @iublue

I spoke with you on the 25th on January and I apologize if you left more frustrated than ever after speaking about your tool on repair. I also see discrepancies and misunderstandings between our conversation, and hope to clarify and rectify it in good faith.

I greatly apologize again for your experience and hope that our paths will cross again under sunnier skies.

In good faith,
Consuelo Cao
Customer Service Manager

Such a response means BCT is back in business and there is still hope. The background history was unknown to most of us, I am sure.

Simon
(02-21-2018, 06:20 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Such a response means BCT is back in business and there is still hope. The background history was unknown to most of us, I am sure.

Simon

I agree.  This is a really good CS response.
I understand it is a feel good letter but to be honest I wouldn't be happy spending money on a service program from a company that no longer has the tooling or the staff to provide it.  Nor would I buy any high dollar tooling from a company that only has one person with the knowledge base to service it.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Lot of words that when boiled down, pretty much confirm the OP's concerns. Did not know they went under back in the early 2000's and no longer made brass and wooden tools.

Good to know the company history as well as their current operating template. Good luck to both BC and the OP moving forward.

Doug
I sure hope the "repair person" doesn't have an accident or leave the company, that would pretty much put them out of business.
(02-20-2018, 12:34 AM)Bob10 Wrote: Not sure if you have contacted the BBB but 

BBB is worthless.  I wouldn't waste my time.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"