Anyone has fun new Vises to show?
Hi,

I would like to live vicariously through your postings
Smile

There were some newer vises out there, I'm wondering if anybody has tried.
Benchcrafted Hi-Vise looks very appealing....and not too terribly expensive considering.
HNT Gordon Face Vise looks amazing and expensive.
Etc. 

Thanks in advance,
Chris
I'm always looking for new vices!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

[Image: IMG_2801.JPG]

Not really new; what is new is, i don't yearn for a new vise.  Not yearning for something new, or something better is kinda new to me.

Nothing new here. Just this setup that helps hold wood, pipe and other things in various positions for fitting, welding, cutting and so on.

[Image: IpAp3Qj.jpg]
Ron,   nice cranks!   I like the auxiliary knob.

Daddo,  looking good.   I know a guy who uses 2 B&D workmates for long boards, and he says it's like having the board set in concrete.

Chris
Chris
Chris:   Here's my Benchcrafted high vise.  A very useful tool.  Criss-cross mechanism makes for more slop than I expected, but the jaws come together as they should.  Handle mechanism is a hoot.  I like that it can reside on the bench semi-permanently.  That won't work with the moxon, in my shop at least.

[Image: vKFpKCD.jpg]
Tony
Thanks!

Coincidentally, HNT Gordon has just now announced a patternmakers vise along with their face vise and tail vise:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfewXKAAicg/...=hntgordon
Chris
Tony - that's a very nice looking high vise. I'm thinking about getting one. Can you expand on the slop? On yours, what range of bench top thickness will it accommodate?
Thanks
David
(02-24-2018, 09:55 AM)DCM Wrote: Tony - that's a very nice looking high vise.  I'm thinking about getting one. Can you expand on the slop? On yours, what range of bench top thickness will it accommodate?
Thanks
David

David:

Before I address your question, I need to apologize to the Benchcrafted folks for my use of the term "slop" and any implication that I think the vise is in any way compromised, or of anything but the highest quality, as is the long-standing and well-deserved reputation of BC for excellence in design, construction, and customer service. ("I should have said "play which doesn't affect functionality".)

Of course, the builder/user of the vise is responsible for turning out a tool that functions as it should--BC sells the excellent hardware and instructions, the rest is up to the customer.  One of these days I'll remember that the connection between my mouth and my brain, tenuous as a general rule, rarely functions at all before 1 p.m and after 7:45 p.m. 

I'm a very satisfied customer who's  purchased a number of their tools.

As for the thickness issue, there really is no single, right answer.  It depends on a number of factors, including which of the three models is selected.  At page 4-5 of the installation instructions the writer states that the specs provided for the Mounting Screw version result in "a clamping range of 0” to 4 3/8”,  a good all-around range that let’s you mount the vise to a ¾” thick banquet table, all the way up to a 4” thick Roubo-style bench."

The BC web page, which includes a link to the installation instructions and a short video I mentioned in my original post, is here

Cheers.
Tony
(02-24-2018, 07:34 PM)Tony (Charleston WV) Wrote: David:

Before I address your question, I need to apologize to the Benchcrafted folks for my use of the term "slop" and any implication that I think the vise is in any way compromised, or of anything but the highest quality, as is the long-standing and well-deserved reputation of BC for excellence in design, construction, and customer service. ("I should have said "play which doesn't affect functionality".)

Of course, the builder/user of the vise is responsible for turning out a tool that functions as it should--BC sells the excellent hardware and instructions, the rest is up to the customer.  One of these days I'll remember that the connection between my mouth and my brain, tenuous as a general rule, rarely functions at all before 1 p.m and after 7:45 p.m. 

I'm a very satisfied customer who's  purchased a number of their tools.

As for the thickness issue, there really is no single, right answer.  It depends on a number of factors, including which of the three models is selected.  At page 4-5 of the installation instructions the writer states that the specs provided for the Mounting Screw version result in "a clamping range of 0” to 4 3/8”,  a good all-around range that let’s you mount the vise to a ¾” thick banquet table, all the way up to a 4” thick Roubo-style bench."

The BC web page, which includes a link to the installation instructions and a short video I mentioned in my original post, is here

Cheers.

Tony,

I checked out the vid on BC site & you can see the play you speak of. I'll be ordering one soon

Thanks for the info
David