Knife making in Finland
(02-25-2018, 07:58 AM)salmo Wrote: Thanks Jack...

OK, here is a little extra background...

This Puukko knife was acquired from the maker himself.  We had a stopover in Helsinki, Finland during a Baltic cruise back in 2012.  We were lucky to hit a weekly Farmer's Market in one of the city's squares.  Most of the stuff offered there was farming produce but they also had a few extra stalls with "toys"...

This fellow, which appeared to be in his early 40's, actually had a knife-making workshop in his stall...  I don't recall forging but it have a grinding stone and a pot of boiling/hot water and leather needle works...  The sheaths were custom-formed individually... Leather cut to approximate the knife, then submerged in the hot water, then molded/formed and hand-stitched directly on the intended Puukko...  There were quite a few hanging there, drying out...

The maker had a small display of a few knives for sale, each with it's own individual "personality" of size, shape and finish...  None appeared to be as part of a production line and most included small imperfections that "enhanced" individuality, intended or not... I picked the knife pic'ed above for these reasons, especially for overall size, simplicity, and good balance...

I recall being told by the seller that the handle was made of birch bark... but after watching the uTube clip I suspect that, unless there are other methods to utilize the material, perhaps I misunderstood...  but regardless, I still like this Puukko anyway...!   

Salmo.
Thanks...Nice to look back and remember where and when you got something you really like...
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset