What's the Deal with All These Spam Threads?
Thumbs Down 
Hey mods / admins!  Can't we vote these guys off the island?  Before the software change, we almost never got postings like this.  Now they seem to crop up and stay there for several days before they are poofed.  What gives?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'm not sure it is the new software.  Perhaps the spammers have gotten more sophisticated.

But lately navigating the threads reminds me of walking in Manhattan in the 1960s.  You had to watch where you stepped or you'd end up with dog poop on your shoes.

Perhaps there could be a "spam-only" squad of moderators to quickly expunge the poop.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Not familiar with the software used by the site. But it seems that certain words are not allowed. Perhaps thread titles can be searched and if it has a :// it would be automatically deleted. That would hose up bots but probably not actual humans.
Don't know,but it is getting to be a real pain.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Sometimes I tell em Hi, mostly I ignore them. Sometimes I report em
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

When August Home owned WoodNet, an Admin person previewed each new member, weeding out the spammers/etc.

I have no knowledge of the process now, but am pretty sure there is no person doing that now, so it is left up to Barn/crew---who are volunteers---and have lives---and so on.

It is easy to report the spammers. Open the link, look to the lower right of the post area, and click on Report. That opens a popup where all you need do is click Report---and done. Think of it like looking both ways at a stop sign before proceeding.
Big Grin
It's aggravating, but easily ignored. I just skip past them. More aggravating are the ones that look like a legitimate thread and then try to link you to something, like Ted's Woodworking.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-22-2018, 10:51 AM)fredhargis Wrote: It's aggravating, but easily ignored. I just skip past them. More aggravating are the ones that look like a legitimate thread and then try to link you to something, like Ted's Woodworking.

I know in the past on another site it seems that the administrators found they were being sent from the same IP address but different user names were registered.   Can the administrators check the IP address of the senders, not the IP address of the links ?    Then they blocked that IP address.    Roly
(02-22-2018, 03:30 PM)Roly Wrote:  I know in the past on another site it seems that the administrators found they were being sent from the same IP address but different user names were registered.   Can the administrators check the IP address of the senders, not the IP address of the links ?    Then they blocked that IP address.    Roly

This is a game between the spammers and admins; measure, counter-measure, et cetera.  Fact of life on the internet, heck, fortune 500 companies have issues keeping spam out of employees' inboxes, and let me tell you, they spend big $$s trying.......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I used to get a lot of spam in my personal inbox.  It always bothered me.  But then one day I was searching the internet and I found this great tool at http://
Slap

Sorry folks, I could not resist.

Like other, I ignore it by the title, though a couple of times I have opened spam threads.  I have not followed the links though.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe