What's the Deal with All These Spam Threads?
(02-22-2018, 03:30 PM)Roly Wrote:  I know in the past on another site it seems that the administrators found they were being sent from the same IP address but different user names were registered.   Can the administrators check the IP address of the senders, not the IP address of the links ?    Then they blocked that IP address.    Roly

it's not that easy.  I'm a moderator on a large site and they come from all over -- we don't see any pattern to the IP addresses.  In fact, I am pretty sure there are no banned IP addresses at this time. The parent company that owns the forum recently automated spammer detection though, it's really good now because they don't get registered. There used to be the occasional spam storm where it just got ridiculous.  There was one morning where I banned 50 spammers in an hour while there were 2 other people also banning spammers. So probably a couple hundred spam posts in an hour.

Although, as good as it is now, getting the amount of spam that this forum does is a pretty normal day at that forum, it's just that there are so many sub forums there that it isn't as obvious.
I currently use CleanTalk for my forum, it does a great job of catching the spammers.

They have a plugin for MyBB (the forum software being used here).

It is cheap, about $10 a year, I think.
I remember when spam was good with eggs. Not healthy, but good.  
Big Grin
(02-22-2018, 07:21 PM)daddo Wrote: I remember when spam was good with eggs. Not healthy, but good.  
Big Grin

I always liked Spam.  My bride won't let me have any.  She's protecting HER meal ticket!!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I can't believe you guys like Spam....of all the things you can say about it, one of them is not "it tastes good".
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have heard that fried Spam is pretty good.  Didn't really think to have any when I was in Hawaii last, seems like that is fried Spam headquarters
(02-23-2018, 07:37 AM)EricU Wrote: I have heard that fried Spam is pretty good.  Didn't really think to have any when I was in Hawaii last, seems like that is fried Spam headquarters

Oh, yeah, you have to fry it.  When fishing in a camp in Quebec I've been known to slice it out of the can and make a sandwich, but that's because I was too lazy to do it up right.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Fried, with mayo and onion.
We don't buy it to eat regularly, but do keep it in the food supply. The barbecue flavor is fairly good also
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020