Fireplace mantle finishing questions
I'm finishing up a fireplace mantle for my relatives and before I rush into finishing this, I figured I would ask a few questions so I don't do something I'll regret later on.  First question revolves around the top coat.  For the stain, I used an oil based stain (Mohawk).  I really only have experiencing using Minwax water-based polycrylic (sprayed) for the top coat but I'd like to try something different so I'm coming here for suggestions.  What do others use for their top coat over an oil-based stain?  And do you spray it or brush it on?  I've never brushed on a stain but I'm willing to try it out.  Lowes carries a Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer, would something like that work? Or should I go with a shellac?

As for my next question, the mantle is mission-style with some block trim pieces that need to be glued in.  Should I do this gluing before or after I do the top coat?  My initial thought was to do it after the top coats so I could apply and sand it easier between coats but maybe I'm thinking about this wrong (if sanding is actually needed).  

Last question is about the glue for the block pieces.  Is Titebond III ok for this or should I use an epoxy to ensure it stays put?  Here is a picture of what I'm referring to as far as the block pieces is concerned:

https://flic.kr/p/24wd3aS

Thanks for your help with this.
(02-22-2018, 12:56 PM)greatscott Wrote: I'm finishing up a fireplace mantle for my relatives and before I rush into finishing this, I figured I would ask a few questions so I don't do something I'll regret later on.  First question revolves around the top coat.  For the stain, I used an oil based stain (Mohawk).  I really only have experiencing using Minwax water-based polycrylic (sprayed) for the top coat but I'd like to try something different so I'm coming here for suggestions.  What do others use for their top coat over an oil-based stain?  And do you spray it or brush it on?  I've never brushed on a stain but I'm willing to try it out.  Lowes carries a Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer, would something like that work?  Or should I go with a shellac?

As for my next question, the mantle is mission-style with some block trim pieces that need to be glued in.  Should I do this gluing before or after I do the top coat?  My initial thought was to do it after the top coats so I could apply and sand it easier between coats but maybe I'm thinking about this wrong (if sanding is actually needed).  

Last question is about the glue for the block pieces.  Is Titebond III ok for this or should I use an epoxy to ensure it stays put?  Here is a picture of what I'm referring to as far as the block pieces is concerned:

https://flic.kr/p/24wd3aS

Thanks for your help with this.

You need to glue wood to wood, not wood to finish.  Sounds like you've already stained it, so you don't have wood anymore, so Plan B or C.  Plan B is to remove the stain where the wood blocks will go.  Plan C would be to go ahead and complete the finishing process and then use dowel to glue the blocks to the mantel.  I think I'd pick Plan C at this point.  

I much prefer GF's Enduro Clear Poly compared to Polycrylic.  Sprays great and is much harder and more chemically durable.  You can spray it directly over a well cured oil based stain, but I almost always spray a light coat of Sealcoat shellac over the stain first.  Sealcoat is 100% wax free and bonds to the OB stain, and any topcoat bonds to it.  

FWIW, there's no way I would try brushing lacquer on that piece.  If I wanted to use a hand applied finish it would be Arm-R-Seal.  You can put that directly over the OB stain once it's cured for several days.  

John
I am not sure whether epoxy would work, someone with more knowledge than I will chime in I am sure.
Ed
Okay

1.  If you already stained it you can use epoxy to glue the small pieces. 
2.  I would go ahead and glue the pieces on. 
3.  I would use a wipe on poly.  I have change to that for most of my work now.  I really gives a nice looking finish.  You can use a small brush to get into the smaller area.   This will take longer because the coats are really thin.  For craftsmen style the wipe on really looks nice.  If you want to speed up the process you can spray a first coat with either lacquer or shellac - lightly sand then go for the wipe-on.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.