Used Jet Jointer
Hello I am new to the forum and I have a question regarding a used Jet jointer. It is a JJ-6CSX and asking $500 for it. It is a 100 miles south for me so I am not sure if it is worth the drive. This model number is not on the Jet web sit and the Woodcraft store has a model JJ-6CSDX listed for $950.  I the used one an older model and is it worth $500? I am just getting back into woodworking so I am trying to save money.
(02-22-2018, 05:47 PM)SCK Wrote: Hello I am new to the forum and I have a question regarding a used Jet jointer. It is a JJ-6CSX and asking $500 for it. It is a 100 miles south for me so I am not sure if it is worth the drive. This model number is not on the Jet web sit and the Woodcraft store has a model JJ-6CSDX listed for $950.  I the used one an older model and is it worth $500? I am just getting back into woodworking so I am trying to save money.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a used 6" strait knife jointer.  For not much more, the upgrade to 8" or to a 6" helical is worth it.  Both are vast improvements.

If you need a jointer asap, it's an ok price.  If you wait around you can find that same machine in the 400 range, or similar models for 250-300.
First, I agree with Strokes,  that is too high priced for a used 6 inch jointer.  Your first question should be whether you will be satisfied with a 6 inch.  It works for some types of work, but many ww outgrow it and move up to an 8 inch jointer, which is why 6 inch jointers are pretty easy to find.  If you think 6 inches would work for you, I would scour craigslist and ebay  ( for auctions near you ) and see if you can land one closer to $300.   For some machines, the manufacturer is pretty important, for jointers, except for the very cheapest ones, the engineering and operation are pretty basic, and  most are made pretty much the same.  For around $300 you should be able to find cast iron fence, and tables with dovetailed ways, with a 3 knife cutter head.   So I wouldn't pay extra for Jet or Powermatic, or another name brand, there were many Taiwanesse imports that work as well.  If you decide you want 8 inch, or a heilical cutterhead, you will probably have to buy new, since they don't come up used very much.
Thanks. I thank I will pass for now. Although I am not sure I nee an 8" jointer. I has been almost 30 since I did any wood working and that was using pine to make toy boxes, doll cratles, etc. Now I would like to work with hardwood. Once again thanks for the advise.
Not everyone needs an 8 inch, and if you don't think you need one, then by all means pick up a used 6 inch.
(02-22-2018, 05:47 PM)SCK Wrote: Hello I am new to the forum and I have a question regarding a used Jet jointer. It is a JJ-6CSX and asking $500 for it. It is a 100 miles south for me so I am not sure if it is worth the drive. This model number is not on the Jet web sit and the Woodcraft store has a model JJ-6CSDX listed for $950.  I the used one an older model and is it worth $500? I am just getting back into woodworking so I am trying to save money.

I would find out what else the owner of jointer was selling....tell him you live far away and was only able spend so much see if can negotiate price down before getting there and pickup some other stuff  let him know just starting too assemble shop may score whole bunch extra.
Oh, man, that's a crazy price for a used 6" jointer!

Be patient, and depending on your location, you can probably land a deal on an 8" for the same or less. Two years ago I scored a really old (built in 1920) 8" for $200.
Semper fi,
Brad

On the "need" of 8 over 6...

You don't need it until you...need it. You can joint 6" on an 8" jointer, but doing 8" on a 6" is challenging or impossible.

For the longest time I got away with 6", but now that I have an 8", I'm waiting on a 12" to come into my price range...
Semper fi,
Brad

Well for what its worth I am going to pass on the jointer. I am in the process of assembling my new Powermatic table saw. That is a challenge in its self. It was delivered to my garage, but my shop is 150 feet down a gravel driveway. Now I am almost done and I just discovered that it did not ship with a blade.
Is that SOP for Powermatic?

DT