Show & Tell
I thought I would show another one of my projects as I'm making it for those of you that like that sort of thing. This is inspired from the post on this site from herebroks that this site needs more life. At any time if you need me to show or explain some thing please just ask and I'll try to show photos or just tell you how I did something. The other thing I want to sat right off is I have very basic tools and do things a bit different than most.

This project is going to be an Amphora Style Vase made from Curly Maple & Quarter Sawn Sapele. I've already started by making four Maple rings one of them is a feature ring w/ a basic pattern of Sapele. These rings were glued up and then spun on the lathe to clean them up round and flat for the next phase of gluing. For this project I'm going to do some open air rings so I had to cut 100 pieces 3/8" x 2".

I do all of my segment cutting w/ a 10" Hitachi compound miter saw w/ a 60 tooth Kolbalt blade. After cutting the pieces for the open air part I sand both sides to 320 grit. Next I lay out the spacing and glue each piece w/ super thin CA glue making sure everything is very flat smooth and clean. Adding rings as I go I build up 6 rings for the first part then I mount it on the lathe to start cutting, this is as deep as my tools reach so I have to finish this bottom part first. To show how I make my rings I take photos while making the top portion of this vase. So feel free to ask questions or just follow along this will take some time I'm planning on adding some carved handles to this pieces as well and I'll show how I do those also. Here are some photos of this project on the lathe.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow... that is really an interesting design. Very creative.
Cool

Looking forward to seeing it's completion.
(02-23-2018, 01:26 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: Wow... that is really an interesting design. Very creative.
Cool

Looking forward to seeing it's completion.
Thanks your more than welcome to follow along. 
Smile
(02-23-2018, 03:23 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Thanks your more than welcome to follow along. 
Smile

I've never had a facebook account.... so... I'll have to see things, from here.
(02-23-2018, 04:09 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: I've never had a facebook account.... so... I'll have to see things, from here.

Here is where I'll be showing the process: that facebook link is where I show my finished art work I don't think you have to have an account to look though.
I'm surprised at the use of CA glue. Why not use a PVA?
(02-23-2018, 11:05 PM)Angus Wrote: I'm surprised at the use of CA glue. Why not use a PVA?

Thanks for the response Angus; I use PVA Tite Bond II when gluing the segments in to rings. But for the open air pieces I use the CA so there"s no wiping cleaning in between all of those gaps you just have to let it wick in the seams once set in to place, I use a fine tip added to the CA bottle that lets me get between each piece.
Here's a link for the CA tips. 

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-Pro-...+glue+tips
It’s going to look nice once it’s done. I like the way you use the Cole jaws for the open portion of the bowl. I have to keep this in mind.
Don
(02-24-2018, 09:20 AM)DFJarvie Wrote: It’s going to look nice once it’s done. I like the way you use the Cole jaws for the open portion of the bowl. I have to keep this in mind.

Thank you very much and Yes... I tend push the limit of my Cole jaws, please be very careful if you try some of the thing I show w/ them, always double check how tight they are before starting the lathe.