Parts availability for Delta machines
Delta has been dead for years but hasn't realized it yet.  I no longer have any Delta tools now will I buy any in the future.  Say what you want about Grizzly but they have parts if you need them and they charge a reasonable price for them.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(02-24-2018, 08:26 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: If the parts inventory and/or the resources needed to produced was never included as part of the sale of the company to the new 'Delta', can they really be faulted for not supplying parts for legacy machines that they never manufactured?

Did they not want or negotiate for these parts in the first place?

I think it would have behooved them to have made an effort to have continued the legacy via supporting the previous machines.  If they don't feel supporting the old machines, will they feel the same way about their own product?  Will the mentality be like other Chinese made goods?  It's 5 years old, you should have upgraded to the newer model 2 years ago, that model is obsolete nowadays.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-24-2018, 01:12 PM)photobug Wrote: Did they not want or negotiate for these parts in the first place?

I think it would have behooved them to have made an effort to have continued the legacy via supporting the previous machines.  If they don't feel supporting the old machines, will they feel the same way about their own product?  Will the mentality be like other Chinese made goods?  It's 5 years old, you should have upgraded to the newer model 2 years ago, that model is obsolete nowadays.

The first thing I said was "I've never heard it clearly explained how, if at all, the parts business for old machines was passed on the the new company." Perhaps they did make the effort to continue the legacy and DeWalt wasn't interested. 
(02-24-2018, 01:33 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: The first thing I said was "I've never heard it clearly explained how, if at all, the parts business for old machines was passed on the the new company." Perhaps they did make the effort to continue the legacy and DeWalt wasn't interested. 

It is my understanding that when DeWalt bought out Pentair, which had bought out Rockwell Manufacturing in the mid to late 80's, that DeWalt sold off their entire acquired Delta parts inventory to a private company.   I am sure that there are still lots of NOS parts out there somewhere if one knows where to look.

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
(02-24-2018, 02:28 PM)gregr Wrote: It is my understanding that when DeWalt bought out Pentair, which had bought out Rockwell Manufacturing in the mid to late 80's, that DeWalt sold off their entire acquired Delta parts inventory to a private company.   I am sure that there are still lots of NOS parts out there somewhere if one knows where to look.

Greg

The rumor is that DeWalt dumpstered most of the parts. Too much cost and effort to catalog and move, easier to just 86 them and take the write off. DeWalt apparently never really wanted Delta, they wanted all of the other names that were part of the sale from Pentair.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/07/19/...group.html
(02-24-2018, 02:34 PM)jlanciani Wrote: The rumor is that DeWalt dumpstered most of the parts. Too much cost and effort to catalog and move, easier to just 86 them and take the write off. DeWalt apparently never really wanted Delta, they wanted all of the other names that were part of the sale from Pentair.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/07/19/...group.html

That's how it usually goes. Toss it all in the dumpster and take the tax writeoff. Home Depot does it all the time tossing new stuff in the trash after marking it down to a penny. Incredible amounts of waste due to these writeoffs.
It would appear that DeWalt did not sell off their entire Delta parts inventory. I went to the DeWalt ServiceNet site today and under the section for Woodworking Tools>Professional they have search options for shapers, cabinet saws, radial arm saws, etc. that were Delta and only Delta machines. Select Shaper and here is a list of the Delta shaper models they show having parts for. As I mentioned above, I searched for the washer part number (from my copy of the manual) that the OP was looking for and it was available to add to a cart for checkout.

Again, I want to emphasize that I have no reason to want to defend the new Delta company nor do I ever intend to buy a machine from them, but I do believe there is a possibility that the Stanley Black & Decker group is the reason that there are few/no new parts available for older Delta machinery.

Attached Files Image(s)

Similar story here...

I was replacing the blade on my Delta 14" bandsaw yesterday and noticed the lower thrust bearing was seized.  I bought it in 2005 so I thought maybe it's time for once over and replace all the bearings while I'm at it.  So, I call Delta and start with the bearing numbers for the lower assembly.  Delta's response "that part is discontinued".  I asked if Delta is going out of business, that's a part that is most likely to wear out.  Delta response "you can call a number of replacement parts suppliers to get the bearing 
No
(02-27-2018, 12:16 PM)wood-chips Wrote: Similar story here...

I was replacing the blade on my Delta 14" bandsaw yesterday and noticed the lower thrust bearing was seized.  I bought it in 2005 so I thought maybe it's time for once over and replace all the bearings while I'm at it.  So, I call Delta and start with the bearing numbers for the lower assembly.  Delta's response "that part is discontinued".  I asked if Delta is going out of business, that's a part that is most likely to wear out.  Delta response "you can call a number of replacement parts suppliers to get the bearing 
No

Bearings are off the shelf items. It is always cheaper, and the quality is typically better, to get bearings anywhere but from the OEM. If I remember correctly, the thrust bearings on your saw are 6200-2RS. Available for about a buck a piece on Ebay.
(02-27-2018, 12:52 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Bearings are off the shelf items. It is always cheaper, and the quality is typically better, to get bearings anywhere but from the OEM. If I remember correctly, the thrust bearings on your saw are 6200-2RS. Available for about a buck a piece on Ebay.

You are right about the OEM parts and buying better quality replacements.  You can't see the mfg part number on the lower bearings because they are all enclosed in the housing.  The mfg on thrust bearings were marked Romania and the upper assembly bearings were marked Taiwan.  I wanted to get the mfg part number for the lower bearings from Delta, but of course they had no cross reference from Delta part number to mfg part number 
Angry

My brother can order any bearings and even upgrades so I wanted the mfg part numbers so I can have him order them for me.  I guess I'll have to tear it down and get the mfg part numbers and have him get me the bearings after.  Will mean a little more down time but well worth it. At least the thrust and upper bearings can be ordered any time since I have the mfg part numbers.