Good Table Saw Blade
Hi

I am in the process of assembling a new Powermatic P1000 and just found out that it does not ship with a blade. I did a forum search for table saw and found a good discussion on blades for plywood. In the past (40 years ago) I had a craftsman 10" table saw that I just used with the one that it came with and the Powermatic replaced a Dewalt contractor saw that was used with the blade it came with. I got some good ideas for plywood blades but what would be a good general blade and what are some good brand choices. Thanks.

Steve
(02-23-2018, 08:15 PM)SCK Wrote: Hi

I am in the process of assembling a new Powermatic P1000 and just found out that it does not ship with a blade. I did a forum search for table saw and found a good discussion on blades for plywood. In the past (40 years ago) I had a craftsman 10" table saw that I just used with the one that it came with and the Powermatic replaced a Dewalt contractor saw that was used with the blade it came with. I got some good ideas for plywood blades but what would be a good general blade and what are some good brand choices. Thanks.

Steve

I use a Forrest Woodworker II 40 tooth for 95% of my cuts. Great blade.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
Hardwoods: Freud glue line rip blade, Freud crosscut blade.
Specialty plades for melamine or flat bottom cuts and such as needed.
Well, agree w/ some of the other suggestions - the two brands of saw blades that I own mostly are Forrest and Freud - one blade is not enough, i.e. rip vs. crosscuts may require two different blades, although 'hybrid blades' may serve most of your needs; also specialty blades for plywood or other sheet materials may require a different blade - SO, you may need 3-4 different blades (or more) depending on you specific needs - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
If I were going to get one good blade I would get the Forrest woodworker II as mentioned earlier but they make one now that has a raker tooth every so many teeth. There are countless times I wish I could make a quick single rabbet or dado and the normal woodworker II has only alternate tooth bevel (atb) that leaves a tiny peak in the bottom of the groove.

I looked a bit and found it here. I am sure there are other sources.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/forre...x-40-tooth
I plan on getting different blades, such as plywood/melamine. But I just need something now to start and I looked at the Freud 50 tooth combination. Thanks for all the suggestions.
(02-23-2018, 11:58 PM)SCK Wrote: I plan on getting different blades, such as plywood/melamine. But I just need something now to start and I looked at the Freud 50 tooth combination. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have a bunch of Freud blades but am considering "upgrading" to a set of Infinity Tools blades.  They sale them in a set that includes:

Combo blades
Rip Blade
Crosscut/ Plywood blade.

You can leave a combo blade on for most all of your cuts.  Like when you are making a bunch of cuts in a small project.  When I am doing some rips over 4 feet long or ripping a series of boards I swap to a rip blade.  I also switch to a crosscut/plywood blade when I am cutting any plywood to it's finished size, or making fine final cuts for crosscuts.
A carpenter's house is never done.
While you can get a good combination blade, I choose to use blades specifically built for the purpose.  A blade built for crosscutting will greatly reduce splintering, but will work like crap for ripping.  For years I used the following three blades
10" crosscut
http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/prod...t/LU74R010

10" Rip
http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/prod...t/LU87R010

7 1/4" Fine Finish Diablo

I used the circular saw blade on the tablesaw for cutting plastics and MDF.  The circular saw blade was $20, while the others were close to $100, so I used the cheaper blade on items that were harder on blades.

I still use the above blades, but more recently I added in a blade specifically for plywood.

I am sure someone hear can give you advice on the combination blades, if you decide to go that way.  I have used them, but I prefer to use a blade built specifically for the type of cut I am making.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I have blades from several different manufacturers. I built my collection of blades that were on sale only. They are all great blades. I don't own any Forrest. Too much $$ for a blade IMHO. My plywood blade comes from www.uhrichsvillecarbide.com & you will be hard pressed to beat their blades & sharpening services!

Find a good sharpening service. IMHO that is more important than the blade itself. I don't like throwing a dull blade away with all that carbide left on them.
Freud LU 87 is a great ripping blade and leaves a good finish, they work very well on portable saws.  I usually have a 50 tooth combo Freud in my table saw.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!