HVAC parts
I need an online source for a run capacitor for my air handler. Any help is appreciated
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Mcmaster Carr should have it
(02-24-2018, 10:44 AM)museumguy Wrote: I need an online source for a run capacitor for my air handler. Any help is appreciated

Amazon, same uf rating and at least the voltage rating as on the old one.   Roly   (Check physical size to make sure it fits)
(02-24-2018, 11:33 AM)Roly Wrote: Amazon, same uf rating and at least the voltage rating as on the old one.    Roly   (Check physical size to make sure it fits)

Yup or if you are in a decent size city just stop by the supply house. They will sell to anyone. Now there are some differences in capacitors. The ones the supply house near me sells are imported and physically much smaller and lighter than the old one and are typically around $10 is depending on the type. The supply house i prefer has us made capacitors but they can run $30 to $40. Also if your system has an expansion valve most manufacturers recommend a hard start kit which will extend the life of the compressor and capacitor and they typically run under $40.
Thanks everyone. Just for fun, I did a search on ebay. The exact same specs capacitor lists for $5.62, free shipping.

Here's what happened. Last weekend, I was in Home Depot and a sales guy said that for $20, they would come out and do an HVAC tune up. My system is 7 1/2 years old and never had any work except for a start capacitor on the outside condenser unit once because a bug crawled between the contacts and shorted it out ( I wouldn't have believed it if my friend, the repair guy, hadn't opened it and showed me). The HVAC tech showed up this morning and did the tune up and suggested that we get a new start capacitor, ours was reading a 7 instead of a 10, whatever that means. He said the cost was $250. I said no thanks. He let me take a picture of the replacement and I matched the specs up with the one on ebay. Both are made in China. I need some more advice plus I need to go in the attic and take a picture of the one on the system now. Then, more research, possibly look for one made in USA.

Again, thanks everyone.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(02-24-2018, 06:18 PM)museumguy Wrote: Thanks everyone. Just for fun, I did a search on ebay. The exact same specs capacitor lists for $5.62, free shipping.

Here's what happened. Last weekend, I was in Home Depot and a sales guy said that for $20, they would come out and do an HVAC tune up. My system is 7 1/2 years old and never had any work except for a start capacitor on the outside condenser unit once because a bug crawled between the contacts and shorted it out ( I wouldn't have believed it if my friend, the repair guy, hadn't opened it and showed me). The HVAC tech showed up this morning and did the tune up and suggested that we get a new start capacitor, ours was reading a 7 instead of a 10, whatever that means. He said the cost was $250. I said no thanks. He let me take a picture of the replacement and I matched the specs up with the one on ebay. Both are made in China. I need some more advice plus I need to go in the attic and take a picture of the one on the system now. Then, more research, possibly look for one made in USA.

Again, thanks everyone.

Don't go too cheap on the replacement as they have a high failure rate after a year or so.   But as I said before check physical size .   Do you have a Grainger in your town ?   
Roly
(02-24-2018, 06:55 PM)Roly Wrote: Don't go too cheap on the replacement as they have a high failure rate after a year or so.   But as I said before check physical size .   Do you have a Grainger in your town ?   
Roly

Yes the cheapies will fry quite quickly here in Tx. Have seen them run all summer then first start up next year the compressor starts then quits as the cap dies. 

Good to have a spare one as well in hot climates.
Anytime someone offers a call for 20, even 49.95- go elsewhere. They MUST find a problem and charge a lot more to make up the loss.

.pdf   T Capacitors Run Cap Test.4.pdf (Size: 181.01 KB / Downloads: 553)
(02-24-2018, 08:59 PM)daddo Wrote: Anytime someone offers a call for 20, even 49.95- go elsewhere. They MUST find a problem and charge a lot more to make up the loss.

Good one Daddo, I had never seen that method of getting the capacitance value before.    Normally you have a bulged case after failure.   My meter reads the capacitor directly.    Roly
(02-24-2018, 10:44 AM)museumguy Wrote: I need an online source for a run capacitor for my air handler. Any help is appreciated

I have gotten lots of capacitors on Amazon or Ebay.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent