Tablesaw mounted disc sander?
I watched some videos on youtube and saw them using their tablesaw as a disc sander.  Looks like you take off the blade and replace it with this 10" (?) plate.

I looked them up--looks like several different companies make these.  Can anyone recommend one over the other?  Do they attach with hook&loop (velcro)?

Where is the best place to get the replacement discs (the sandpaper)?

Colin
Usually they are PSA.   3450 RPM of a table saw will be a little fast though.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I would be concerned putting sideways pressure on the arbor of the table saw

Been using one for years, they work great. The biggest problem is the paper itself, left just lying around in the shop, the paper will curl. Also, I made a huge mistake and bought a large quantity, you know, buy in bulk and save. The PSA on back went bad before I could use it. I have seen people take 2 pieces of plywood and drill a hole in the middle and "bolt" the paper in between to keep the paper flat.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Oh, I purchased mine from Sears many years ago, works great.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(02-24-2018, 05:01 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: I watched some videos on youtube and saw them using their tablesaw as a disc sander.  Looks like you take off the blade and replace it with this 10" (?) plate.

I looked them up--looks like several different companies make these.  Can anyone recommend one over the other?  Do they attach with hook&loop (velcro)?

Colin

Before I bought a disc sander I used a shop made sanding disc from a piece of MDF. I bored a 5/8" hole in the center for the arbor shaft. Then band sawed the perimeter. Installed the disc on the saw and sanded the perimeter to a perfect circle. Ran the saw and held a stick with 80 grit sandpaper against the spinning perimeter.
I used sanding disc cement to attach the sandpaper. 100 grit on one side and 150 grit on the other side.
Works better than the machine I bought because it has two grits on one disc. I use the store bought one all the time as it is easier than changing from sawing to sanding as I had to do with the MDF version.
Paper comes off with a heat gun , leaves a sticky residue that actually helps to hold the new paper disc.

mike
(02-24-2018, 05:01 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: I watched some videos on youtube and saw them using their tablesaw as a disc sander.  Looks like you take off the blade and replace it with this 10" (?) plate.

Colin

Might not work for you depending if you have one, but many years ago I mounted a sanding disk on my wood lathe, and made an adjustable base the fit into the tool rest base.  It worked pretty good, and you wouldn't have to tie up your table saw all the time.  Bad if you use your lathe a lot.
(02-24-2018, 08:05 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Might not work for you depending if you have one, but many years ago I mounted a sanding disk on my wood lathe, and made an adjustable base the fit into the tool rest base.  It worked pretty good, and you wouldn't have to tie up your table saw all the time.  Bad if you use your lathe a lot.

Got any pics or advice?

I've been wanting to do this myself.
Peter

My "day job"

Look for the disk with the grit sintered in on the surface.  Mine has ~80 on one side, ~120 on the other.  Open coat design, with grit spaced means it cleans up easier from sanding resinous woods.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
The sand paper RPM is at a higher rate of speed compared to most disc sanders and tends to burn the wood much faster. It does however get the job don in a pinch. If it is the only way you can get the disc sander at the present or don't have room for one then go for it. It will not replace a disc sander but in a pinch it is a fairly inexpensive short run solution to the need.

Tom