Lavatory Counter Removal Insight
Replacing an existing laminate bathroom counter dating back to 1965 is a current project. I would like to save and paint the existing cabinets. Any insight/experience in removing the old counter top? Would you anticipate that the plywood top was vertically nailed to the sides prior to placement of the laminate?
Back in those days, the cabs were built in place. So yes, more than likely the ply top was nailed down then the lam was applied. Then they screwed on the front aluminum protector strip.

I remember pulling a kitchen set out. That main, 10' long countertop had a couple hundred 2" finish nails holding it down.
Laugh  I like to never got that thing pried up.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I removed a laminate countertop in a 1960’s built house.
The cabs were built in place; the counter had a few screws and glue all around. It came out quite easily.
FWIW, the original counter was very high quality plywood—many thin layers and void free.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I think I'd cut the counter with a sawzall or circular saw, then needle away at the edges looking for nails, etc.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Look inside to see if you can see any screws into the top big not, most likely screwed or nailed from the top

You could cut it with a circular saw set to just clear the thickness of the top

Being that old, the laminate may come up fairly easy with a wide scraper, then revealing the nails/screws.
Never know till you give it a shot.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-25-2018, 11:46 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Being that old, the laminate may come up fairly easy with a wide scraper, then revealing the nails/screws.
Never know till you give it a shot.

All of your suggestions are appreciated!
(02-24-2018, 05:55 PM)Stove M Wrote: Replacing an existing laminate bathroom counter dating back to 1965 is a current project. I would like to save and paint the existing cabinets. Any insight/experience in removing the old counter top? Would you anticipate that the plywood top was vertically nailed to the sides prior to placement of the laminate?

I think the laminate top has a good chance of being made in a shop, not laminated on the site. I say this because I installed lots of Formica brand laminate tops starting in 1959 . Look under the top, with a flashlight see if you can see screw heads thru the corner pieces on the cabinet. If you see screw heads then the top was installed with laminate on.
If this is the case , make a spreader with 8" square plywood blocks on a 2x4  about 1/2" longer than the top. Use this as a spreader 18" or more above the top. Cut thru any caulking then pry the top up on one end. Helps to cut thru the top thru the sink hole first. The backsplash if there is one can be cut with a saber saw or Sawzall.
Top should come out easy then.

mike
(02-25-2018, 11:25 AM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: I think I'd cut the counter with a sawzall or circular saw, then needle away at the edges looking for nails, etc.

A similar idea:  Set the depth of the circular saw to the thickness of the top.  Cut through and remove the center of the top leaving only the edges attached to the cabinet walls.  

Make a series of cuts through the remaining perimeter about 2" apart and then pry out individual pieces.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I want to do this in our bathrooms, which are more recent than the op's cabinets.  Just went in to check, it appears that there is only one screw holding down the countertop.  I have a hard time believing that a factory would screw the top down before laminating, but maybe they were done in place. I thought they might be screwed into the walls, but I can't find a screw head. I guess there is going to be some destructive detective work in my future. Or maybe I'll just buy new cabinets.