Lavatory Counter Removal Insight
(02-24-2018, 05:55 PM)Stove M Wrote: Replacing an existing laminate bathroom counter dating back to 1965 is a current project. I would like to save and paint the existing cabinets. Any insight/experience in removing the old counter top? Would you anticipate that the plywood top was vertically nailed to the sides prior to placement of the laminate?

My experience has been grab the free end if there is one and lift.  Unless between walls and then pry bar and tip backwards.  Done too many to count I can't remember ever needing more than with the exception of newer stuff that are screwed from beneath in the corners.  If it was tile or stone I would remove that first to how it was installed
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

The laminate can easily be removed with some lacquer thinner. You can even glue new laminate on it too.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(02-28-2018, 11:14 AM)EricU Wrote: I want to do this in our bathrooms, which are more recent than the op's cabinets.  Just went in to check, it appears that there is only one screw holding down the countertop.  I have a hard time believing that a factory would screw the top down before laminating, but maybe they were done in place. I thought they might be screwed into the walls, but I can't find a screw head. I guess there is going to be some destructive detective work in my future. Or maybe I'll just buy new cabinets.

Just did my master bath demo of two vanity countertops, no nails or screws, only construction adhesive, and not much of that.  18 year old construction.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis