Need some guidance mind is failing me
If it turns out to be too much for the bit to make the entire cut cleanly, you could equip two routers with template guides or bearings, use the first to plunge and cut close to the edge, and use the bit Ralph Bagnal suggests to clean up and round over the edge, guided by the same template. This makes it so the bulk of the material can be removed without the requirement for as clean a cut (i.e. faster), and preserves the edge of the convex edge bit for the finishing cut.
(03-03-2018, 09:21 AM)Alan S Wrote: If it turns out to be too much for the bit to make the entire cut cleanly, you could equip two routers with template guides or bearings, use the first to plunge and cut close to the edge, and use the bit Ralph Bagnal suggests to clean up and round over the edge, guided by the same template.  This makes it so the bulk of the material can be removed without the requirement for as clean a cut (i.e. faster), and preserves the edge of the convex edge bit for the finishing cut.

That would probably be best but the one and done idea is appealing I will have to see what works best
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-03-2018, 12:46 PM)Bob10 Wrote: That would probably be best but the one and done idea is appealing I will have to see what works best

I think that would work if you used a jigsaw to rough cut the openings first to close to the edge.  It's still going to be two and done, just not two routers.  I like this method because jigsaw blades are cheaper to replace and it saves my router bits wear and tear.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-06-2018, 12:17 PM)photobug Wrote: I think that would work if you used a jigsaw to rough cut the openings first to close to the edge.  It's still going to be two and done, just not two routers.  I like this method because jigsaw blades are cheaper to replace and it saves my router bits wear and tear.

Template and router are better at making things uniform one hole instead of lining up 2
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-06-2018, 05:49 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Template and router are better at making things uniform one hole instead of lining up 2

When I use the template like this.  I'll use the template to trace the outline.  Cut near the line with bandsaw or skilsaw to near the line I traced.  Then i mount the template and route.  This way the router bit just has to trim the last 1/4" to be flush with the template.  There is a limit at what you can expect a router bit to cut through without burning.
(03-06-2018, 07:22 PM)photobug Wrote: When I use the template like this.  I'll use the template to trace the outline.  Cut near the line with bandsaw or skilsaw to near the line I traced.  Then i mount the template and route.  This way the router bit just has to trim the last 1/4" to be flush with the template.  There is a limit at what you can expect a router bit to cut through without burning.

Bob is cutting out a hole *inside* a board, so no bandsaw or skilsaw will work. That pattern bit he has will work, once he cuts a starting hole to lower the wood onto the bit. Those bits are made to make the whole cut, in one pass, and usually leave no burn marks.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-06-2018, 10:28 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Bob is cutting out a hole *inside* a board, so no bandsaw or skilsaw will work. That pattern bit he has will work, once he cuts a starting hole to lower the wood onto the bit. Those bits are made to make the whole cut, in one pass, and usually leave no burn marks.

I meant to say cut out the hole with a jig saw in this case, not skill saw.  My skillsaw skills suck, I am always impressed to watch a real carpenter use a skill saw to make a precision plunge cut with a skill saw.  I have  number of pattern bits and use them often.  I even have a top mounted bearing one you can use to plunge cut so you don't have to cut the hole ahead of time but just plunge and pattern cut.  My concern is the convex bit plunging and cutting the shape all in one pass.  I try to avoid that much cutter being exposed.  

How would you do it table or hand held with a large bit like this?
I'll try and get more pics up on this tomorrow.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-03-2018, 09:21 AM)Alan S Wrote: If it turns out to be too much for the bit to make the entire cut cleanly, you could equip two routers with template guides or bearings, use the first to plunge and cut close to the edge, and use the bit Ralph Bagnal suggests to clean up and round over the edge, guided by the same template.  This makes it so the bulk of the material can be removed without the requirement for as clean a cut (i.e. faster), and preserves the edge of the convex edge bit for the finishing cut.

This would not work for this convex bit.  If you use a flush trim router bit with a template, you can't then use the convex bit to create rounded edge because the edge is already flush to the template.
(03-07-2018, 10:38 AM)photobug Wrote: This would not work for this convex bit.  If you use a flush trim router bit with a template, you can't then use the convex bit to create rounded edge because the edge is already flush to the template.

This in incorrect.  It is true that you need to size the initial cutter and the rounding cutter properly with respect to the template guides used in each cut.  The template guide lets you choose the offset from the template at which you cut.