Project ideas for shorts?
I have a lot of leftover cherry and walnut shorts... mostly in the 3/4"x4"x2' size range. Any ideas for projects to use these materials up? Any pictures of projects (maybe bigger than scrap projects, but smaller than a full blown piece of furniture)?
(02-25-2018, 08:24 PM)Troywoodyard Wrote: I have a lot of leftover cherry and walnut shorts... mostly in the 3/4"x4"x2' size range.  Any ideas for projects to use these materials up?  Any pictures of projects (maybe bigger than scrap projects, but smaller than a full blown piece of furniture)?

Those would work well for some small and medium sized boxes.
Peter

My "day job"
I heard one thing that a woodworker must build is a cutting board.  I have yet to build one but I have some Maple and Hickory shorts laying around myself.
I made some wall mounted candle holders using similar sized scraps.   You make an "L-" shaped small shelf with the scraps.  It holds candles safely away from small children and (especially) cats.  

I made "art deco" styled pieces.  I mounted a scrap of mirror on the vertical section so that it reflects the light into the room.  They  work best as pairs, so make two of each.

Not much strength required.  I screwed and glued from the rear of the vertical section.  But dowels or biscuits would work too.  But since the fasteners are hidden between the vertical and the wall, screws make sense.

The weight on the "shelf" will be well under 1 pound.  If you are mounting a mirror you can use pocket screws from the front or the rear.  

Make the decorative routered edges before assembly.  And finish.  Fast, easy and well-appreciated.  I used small brass candle stick holders from Pier I, similar to these:  [Image: il_fullxfull.1324472852_4z3x.jpg]
If you are using tealights in a tealight holder a small piece of marble flooring or granite to protect the wood from heat will make sense.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-26-2018, 04:40 AM)Duane N Wrote: I heard one thing that a woodworker must build is a cutting board.  I have yet to build one but I have some Maple and Hickory shorts laying around myself.

MTM Wood has some amazing cutting board designs, including one made of scraps.

https://mtmwood.com/en/?route=product/pr...uct_id=857.

I think a 2 foot length is bigger than scraps, maybe you could make one of his even cooler designs.

https://mtmwood.com/en/?route=product/ca...path=92_94
A carpenter's house is never done.
[attachment=8600 Wrote:photobug pid='7595349' dateline='1519659898']
MTM Wood has some amazing cutting board designs, including one made of scraps.

Cool site! They also sell pans to make some of the geometric cutting boards. If you register you can get a free download for plans of this of this one:

Attached Files Image(s)

I make a lot of boxes... it fills the time and you can get creative.
They make great gifts, donations to charity raffles, and useful as well.

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Boxes. All the boxes.
Semper fi,
Brad

(02-25-2018, 08:24 PM)Troywoodyard Wrote: I have a lot of leftover cherry and walnut shorts... mostly in the 3/4"x4"x2' size range.  Any ideas for projects to use these materials up?  Any pictures of projects (maybe bigger than scrap projects, but smaller than a full blown piece of furniture)?

All kinds of things you can do with it.  You can glue it up in many pieces or a few pieces to make other parts to make a whole thing. 

If I had it for turning then bowls, boxes, vases and on and on.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Boxes. Has anyone mentioned boxes?
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020