Project ideas for shorts?
Don’t forget to make some boxes.

Big Grin
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I made these cheese slicers. They are about 9" long but there is nothing magic about that length. You could make them just under 8" and get three out of single 2' glue up. They were very well recieved as Christmas gifts. https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7334970
(02-25-2018, 08:24 PM)Troywoodyard Wrote: I have a lot of leftover cherry and walnut shorts... mostly in the 3/4"x4"x2' size range.  Any ideas for projects to use these materials up?  Any pictures of projects (maybe bigger than scrap projects, but smaller than a full blown piece of furniture)?

Here's an idea you might need a bit of spackle and paint

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7337763
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I also keep a small box filled with shorts from old projects on hand since they come in handy for...

Cutting plugs to match grain or provide contrast.
Make the perfect dowel with the forming plate.
Cut keys or inlays to accent boxes.
Cut a perfect repair patch after an oops.
Laminate several layers and play on the band saw... boom, a treasure.

Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Pictures, the OP asked for pictures.  So sorry, I had to get back to the desktop with some time to post them.  Pics of the use of shorts.  Here goes.

First up is a small box made from a couple scraps of spaulted maple I had left over.  I gave this to a friend's son when he graduated from college.  He LOVES this box and it has traveled with him as he has moved thru his adult life.  Scraps to treasured possession.

Next up, a burled maple insert in a walnut box.  The burled maple was a piece that normally would have been tossed.  I book matched the piece, then centered it in the box top.  The wife loves this box.

Last up, double pics showing lots of use of offcuts.  The top contains a piece that would likely have been tossed.  The end cut of a walnut slab where the bark stained the end.  I used the wood from the slab to build a toy box for my Granddaughter for Christmas.  It turned out great! 
Yes  I was intrigued by the staining.  I called it "Dragon Scales" and kept it around as I intended to do "something" with it eventually.  The daughter in OK loved the look.  She mentioned she wanted a box from me for Christmas.... "Light Bulb!"

The second pic shows the interior... notice the tray.  The bottom of the tray is created by laminating a pair of knotty pine off cuts and a single purple heart leftover only a thin piece of backer.  Can't just have a plain ol' bottom in this box huh?  THAT's why I keep the box of scraps around.  Always something I can do with them. 
Smirk

Bonus?

I cut a bunch of highly figured white oak pieces to use on a project for a charity we are affiliated with.  I made them a raffle ticket tumbler. There was one that had a defect in the board that made it too short to use.  I cut the defect out but the grain was too nice to toss the short board. It screamed box top.  Book matched, I framed it in walnut, and built the box around the top... my usual process.

Hope this helps.... 
jim
Jim in Okie
I like boxes. Fly. Tissue etc

Attached Files Image(s)

Fly box lots of different variation possible

Attached Files Image(s)

Love that swirled grain on the lower right. 
Cool
Jim in Okie
Hmmm... maybe I'll try boxes
Smile ... seems to be the consensus.
I made my Folding Breakfast Trays completely from shorts. The longest part measures 22”. 

[Image: HLWTlK.jpg]

Episodes 1&2 of Woodcademy on Amazon take you through the build, and the complete plans are free to download from my website.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.