General finish
I have built a kitchen island using purple heart and want to slow down the color change I have read that finishes with high uv protection will help
I prefer water base as I can spray that inside relatively safe
General finish is high on my list but what one?
Thanks in advance
(02-25-2018, 08:49 PM)oakey Wrote: I have built a kitchen island using purple heart and want to slow down the color change  I have read that finishes with high uv protection will help
I prefer water base as I can spray that inside relatively safe
General finish is high on my list but what one?
Thanks in advance

The only GF interior product I know of with UV inhibitors is High Performance Poly.  Oh, maybe their Conversion Varnish, too, but I'm not sure.  HP Poly sprays beautifully but is not KCMA rated, so it would not be a good choice for kitchen cabinets if you expect serious use.  Sherwin Williams makes Kem Aqua Plus which is KCMA rated and has a UV package, too.  It sprays great as long as you add about 5% Extender to it.  Target Coatings makes EM9300 which has an exterior rated UV package and can be used on interior projects, too.  

John
In addition to what John said I dyed my purpleheart project with purple transtint in alcohol.
Vacuum seal the countertop in a opaque plastic bag and keep the kitchen dark (black out all windows).
Big Grin

I don't work in purple heart but I've read that the reason for the color shift is not really known and eventually the wood will shift regardless of what you do. Nature always prevails over man.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
There was a discussed years back about PH going from vividly purple to a blah light brownish color. I had a PH board in my basement for many years that slowly shifted to the brownish side. It was bright purple after I planned it years earlier. My basement had no windows or natural UV rays. IIRC, many thought the color shift was due to oxidation as much as anything. Not to take this thread off topic but I thought I’d throw that out there. I do like the idea of using purple TT to help keep the color and I think that’s what I’d do.

John
Thanks
Em9300 sounds like a winner have you ever sprayed any of it ?
(03-01-2018, 08:43 PM)oakey Wrote: John
Thanks
Em9300 sounds like a winner have you ever sprayed any of it ?

Yes, I sprayed part of a gallon of satin on an exterior door.  It was a disaster.  I had bubbles on the ash side and it bridged around the pores on the white oak side.  I had several conversations by phone and email with Jeff Weiss, the president of Target.  He asked me to use a larger N/N set which I did with no better results.  He then refunded my money and offered to replace it.  I asked him to send a gallon of EM-6000 instead that I have yet to try.  

I have since read from others that TC seems to have problems with low gloss products, which is what I used.  I don't know if that's true but Dave Daiman says he has no trouble with EM-6000 and I think he uses the higher gloss products.  I'll find out about EM-6000 satin when I get a chance to use it.  

Since my experience with EM-9300 I learned how much GF's Extender can improve a bad situation.  I could never spray SW's Kem Aqua Plus to my satisfaction.  Then I tried adding 3% Extender to it.  Wow, it was amazing how easily it sprayed and how great it looked afterwards.  So I would try adding Extender to the EM-9300 if I try it again and I had trouble with it.  

I don't mean to scare you off the EM-9300.  The product cured very hard for an exterior grade product and looked great except for the problems I described.  If I had not had those problems I would have been very happy with it.  

To fix my problem I stripped off the EM-9300 and used GF's Exterior 450.  It sprayed beautifully and looks great.  On the other hand, it's pretty soft and not rated for interior projects, which is why I didn't recommend it.  If both sprayed equally well, I would prefer the EM-9300.  

John
John
thanks again
thinking i will just use something i am familiar with so as not to really screw up a project
i sure would hate to have to strip something before it was even installed
(03-02-2018, 09:15 AM)oakey Wrote: John
thanks again
thinking i will just use something i am familiar with so as not to really screw up a  project
i sure would hate to have to strip something before it was even installed

Understood.  If you don't expect the island to get splashed regularly with water and/or, worse yet, grease, then GF's HP Poly would fit your needs perfectly.  Very easy to spray and looks great, with a great UV package.  You could possibly topcoat that with Enduro Clear Poly, which is KCMA rated, but you'd have to call GF and/or do some testing to confirm.  It sprays just as easily as HP Poly and also looks great.  

John