Really "thin" t-slot/keyhole router bit?
A friend of mine is trying to cut a T profile into some plastic strip to house LED tape. The width of the top of the 'T' needs to be 3/8" to 7/16", and the width of the bottom can be 1/4" ... which sounds like a keyhole bit or a t-slot bit. The problem is in the depth of the top of the 'T'. Most of the bits I can find are 3/16" (see linky), and he wants ... 1/16". 

Uhh...

This one claims 1/8" depth (what they call 'cutting depth'). Does anyone know of a 1/16"?

https://www.amazon.com/Kempston-501011-K...eyhole+bit
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
(02-26-2018, 12:50 AM)abernat Wrote: A friend of mine is trying to cut a T profile into some plastic strip to house LED tape. The width of the top of the 'T' needs to be 3/8" to 7/16", and the width of the bottom can be 1/4" ... which sounds like a keyhole bit or a t-slot bit. The problem is in the depth of the top of the 'T'. Most of the bits I can find are 3/16" (see linky), and he wants ... 1/16". 

Uhh...

This one claims 1/8" depth (what they call 'cutting depth'). Does anyone know of a 1/16"?

Could they make a cutting surface only 1/16" thick?  

Is the material even thick enough you could cut a 3/16 slot, then you could put a 1/8" spacer to fill the gap.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Quote:A friend of mine is trying to cut a T profile into some plastic strip to house LED tape.

I've routed plastic before to create a bezel for an in-dash radio install.
I would never do it again. It's a risky, scary operation.

I would recommend finding a way to build up layers of plastic to create the channel.
~Dan.
(02-26-2018, 12:50 AM)abernat Wrote: A friend of mine is trying to cut a T profile into some plastic strip to house LED tape. The width of the top of the 'T' needs to be 3/8" to 7/16", and the width of the bottom can be 1/4" ... which sounds like a keyhole bit or a t-slot bit. The problem is in the depth of the top of the 'T'. Most of the bits I can find are 3/16" (see linky), and he wants ... 1/16". 

Uhh...

Is it possible to cut a 1/6" deep 1/4" wide groove in plastic, then face glue on a sheet of plastic into which you cut the narrower groove?  Some types of plastic and glues might make this possible. 

Or cut a rabbet in the edge of some plastic, then glue two such edges down with a spacer to create the T-slot you need.

You might be able to grind a bit down to 1/6", but cutting the plastic without cracking or melting might be a real problem.

Edit: I guess I've said the same thing as Dan Moening, in a different way.