wood burning (pyrography)
I'm not exactly sure this is a power tool, but it does have a cord, so........
From time to time, I have something that I want to embellish with some artwork, of one kind, or another.
Ideally, a laser would be great-but for the little use I have, I can't justify it.
So, I've been playing around with a wood burning pen, a friend gave me.
It looks like a small soldering pencil, pretty sure he got it at a craft store.
It's rated 20 watts, but it just doesn't seem to get hot enough, it's hard to hold and move steady, when it is so slow to burn.
So, without spending a few hundred, does anybody have any recommendations for what to get to replace it?
thanks
I bought the Razertip kit. I like the variability in the amperage and the numerous tips available for it. I bought it several years ago and it seems to hold up pretty well, though I am not a power user.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(02-27-2018, 12:01 PM)SteveS Wrote: I bought the Razertip kit. I like the variability in the amperage and the numerous tips available for it. I bought it several years ago and it seems to hold up pretty well, though I am not a power user.
I have a homebrew unit I made about 30 yrs ago..It can accomodate two pens..I used a 120/12vdc transformer driven by a small variac so I can go from stone cold to white hot in a second or two..

I don't need another pyrography unit but curiosity caused me to buy a couple of power transformers for a laptop computer at GoodWill for a buck each, and I planned to drive them with a light dimmer switch..It's just another thing I haven't gotten around to.
Crazy ..If you're handy with electrical work, you might look into making your own uint pretty cheaply...You may even be able to find instructions on YouTube...Any of the pens will work if they have the correct connectors....The photo hosting problem we have anymore forbids me from posting the photo of the unit.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-27-2018, 12:01 PM)SteveS Wrote: I bought the Razertip kit. I like the variability in the amperage and the numerous tips available for it. I bought it several years ago and it seems to hold up pretty well, though I am not a power user.

For several years I also have kept my eye on the Razertip burner and someday I will get one for us with several tips.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.