How much weight can a hollow core door take?
Wifey bought a jewelry "cabinet" that can either hang atop a door or be attached to a wall.  It weighs 22 pounds empty, prolly 25 when full.  She wants to hang it over an interior closet door (hollow core) that has 3 standard hinges.

Can one hang 25 pounds on a door like this with no negative repercussions (other than the door getting pulled off the hinges in the middle of the night)?

I think it's too heavy.

Your thoughts?
I think it will be fine. Assuming the screws are in good wood. If it's the kind that hangs over the top of the door, I'd see any harm in hanging it up to check the operation. 

If you don't want it hung there, tell her the guys on WN said it won't work.
Big Grin
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

If the screws are installed properly, I'd bet you could remove all but the upper screw in the hinge and it would hold 25# just fine. Unless they use press board for supports in the doors...which I wouldn't doubt.
Should be fine.
As a just in case, sleep at night........put one or two 3" long screws in the upper hinge. Those will bite into more wood.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-27-2018, 04:25 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Should be fine.
As a just in case, sleep at night........put one or two 3" long screws in the upper hinge. Those will  bite into more wood.

The door itself would not have any problem holding the weight but, anchoring the jewelry box to the door may require Molly type anchors as there will not be a structure inside the door other than the edges.  Roly
We used to hang on the top of hollow core doors when we were kids and swing back and forth.  Never broke one (...errr...never broke one doing THAT) - and I can't imagine a 25# jewelry hanger will put nearly the stress on it!

Am I understanding correctly that it will hang over a door like a wreath hanger or those shoe racks, etc... would?  I bet those shoe racks are well over 25# full.
(02-27-2018, 03:54 PM)CLETUS Wrote: snip.... 

If you don't want it hung there, tell her the guys on WN said it won't work.
Big Grin

Now that's funny!

Laugh

Looks like I'll be hanging it tomorrow.  I'll pull a couple of screws out to check their depth.

Replies are truly appreciated.

Yes
(02-27-2018, 03:44 PM)chrisntam Wrote: Wifey bought a jewelry "cabinet" that can either hang atop a door or be attached to a wall.  It weighs 22 pounds empty, prolly 25 when full.  She wants to hang it over an interior closet door (hollow core) that has 3 standard hinges.

Can one hang 25 pounds on a door like this with no negative repercussions (other than the door getting pulled off the hinges in the middle of the night)?

I think it's too heavy.

Your thoughts?

I think it will hold 25 lbs. If you are not sure then remove one screw from the hinges. Take it to a hardware store and buy enough 2-1/2" screws with the same size head as the door screw which is probably only 3/4" long. Also buy a couple of steel screws with similar diameter as the brass screws. The steel screws, actually only need one are used to form the thread and prevent brass screw from snapping off. You probably only need to change the top hinge screws but also doing the middle will add a little something to the strength.

mike
Hollow doors used to have plywood door skins glued to an outer perimeter of wood and a cross bar at the middle where the lockset is installed.  The honeycomb core was glued to both surfaces.

In the past I have made light weight table tops from hollow core doors, and they worked fine.

When I did so about 15 years ago, not so good.  The door skins were pressed cardboard with a veneer outer skin.  The perimeter wood was only about 1¼" wide and the honeycomb was simply tossed in the voids--no glue.

My computer monitor was heavy enough to cause the "skin" to sag.

So if the door in question is 30 years old, I am confident it will hold the 25 pounds.  If it is 15 years old, I am less confident.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-27-2018, 07:23 PM)Roly Wrote:  The door itself would not have any problem holding the weight but, anchoring the jewelry box to the door may require Molly type anchors as there will not be a structure inside the door other than the edges.  Roly

OP posted....jewelry "cabinet" that can either hang atop a door

So I'm taking that as the cabinet has straps/brackets that hang/attach to the very *top* of the door.  A hook type bracket.
Maybe OP can explain just what he has...
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020