20” Planer
I currently have a 13” rigid planer but am looking to upgrade. The 20” Grizzly is a big machine and I am wondering if their 15” would be all I need.

Suggestions will be appreciated.
If the difference between your choice is 5" and you have the means for either, I would recommend the 15" in a helical head. If you can afford the 20" in a helical head, it'll be the last planer upgrade you need (not want mind you, tool lust never stops for some of us
Smile)

Either will be so much quieter than the Rigid, you'll be stunned. chips collection for both 15 and 20" requires more suck than the rigid unit though, be aware. A big planer generates mountains of chips.

TLDR: Biggest you can afford WITH a helical head. I wouldn't advise a new machine without one.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
I went 15" some years back because I knew I would be moving and wasn't sure I could handle moving an 800+# planer. But I would sure love to have one. That said, I'm not really sure I've ever needed the extra width and it's been 17 years since I bought it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
One advantage to having a wider planer is that you can run rough lumber on one side, and take a second pass on the other side. It keeps the knives sharper on one side. I don't have to change the knives as often.

I know two guys that share a shop. They each have their own side of the planer.
(02-27-2018, 04:35 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: I currently have a 13” rigid planer but am looking to upgrade. The 20” Grizzly is a big machine and I am wondering if their 15” would be all I need.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Simple question with a very simple answer. How many time have you wanted or needed to plane a board OVER 15" wide.

For me, I bought the 15" because my answer was never.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

A 12" planer was fine for me since I have a 36" drum sander.

Upgraded to a 15" to get the Byrd head.  
Yes  and the 12" wasn't mine......

Ed
Well, we really *can't* answer this for you.

We can, though, tell you what *we* would do.

In my current shop, I have a PM100 12" planer with a helical head. I can't see myself replacing it with a 15", even if it were free AND had a helical head. I just love it that much. I have room for a 15" planer, though.

I don't have room for a 20". A 20" planer is a *beast*. I would only consider one if I had a larger shop (not gonna happen for at least a decade) AND I knew I could immediately afford a helical head for it.
Semper fi,
Brad

The size is up to you... determine your needs.  Most of what I build I can fit into my 15".  If not I just glue up and belt sand / handplane the one or two joints.

I would say that I would never go back to standard knives verses carbide inserts in a helical cutter head.  This is many times more important then 15" verses 20" in my opinion.
WoodNET... the new safespace
My 20" is a time saver as I can send several boards through at the same time.
Big Grin
"During times of universal deceit, Telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

-- George Orwell
I jumped from an old parks 12" to a 20" Grizzly and haven't regretted it one bit.
Wider gives you the options of doing wider projects.
Wink 
Of course that also means you may need a bigger chip removal system
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020