20” Planer
The footprint taken up by a planer is as dependent on design as cutting width.

Some of the old planers like powermatics had motors mounted next to the planer cutter area. Some of these were as much as 4' wide.

My current Bridgewood 20" planer is 33" wide. The front to back depth is about 24" at the base. I enlarged the base to be 30" from front to back which is the same as the front to back measurement at the table. It is shorter front to back than my old 15" 4 post planer with an outboard roller, and is only a couple inches wider.
My .02
Karl

Same here Dave. Mine is straight knife dc380. Segmented infeed is the way to knock it out safely.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Which Grizzly did you get?
(02-27-2018, 04:35 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: I currently have a 13” rigid planer but am looking to upgrade. The 20” Grizzly is a big machine and I am wondering if their 15” would be all I need.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

never regret having a 20" not once have I said wish I went smaller. had my grizzly 20 since 1989 upgraded it to a 5 hp and grizzly spiral head . love it.
Don
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I upgraded from a Ridgid TP1300 13" to a generic 15" planer. Due to space limitations, I am kind of wishing I kept that Ridgid and put a spiral cutter head on it. I very rarely plane anything over 11" wide
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve decided on the Grizzly 15” with a helical cutter. The 20” is heavier than I want to handle.
I had both the 15 & 20 (originally with straight knives on both) and upgraded the 20" straight knives to a byrd. That bugger was heavy and in addition, I upgraded the tables (rollers are annoying to adjust) to solid cast iron.

You'll be happy, the 15" with byrd will have power to hog big cuts and finesse to deliver a very nice finish right off the knives.

Best,
Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
Have owned the 20" Grizzly for many years, bomb-proof machine.
Straight blades and very happy and highly recommended.