WTB 1/10" Mortise Chisel
If you happen to have a 1/10" mortise chisel laying around collecting dust and really don't see a use for it in the near future, I am aiming to buy it from you.

Checking here before I pull the trigger on a LN mortise chisel.
(02-28-2018, 03:17 PM)Scoony Wrote: If you happen to have a 1/10" mortise chisel laying around collecting dust and really don't see a use for it in the near future, I am aiming to buy it from you.

Checking here before I pull the trigger on a LN mortise chisel.

Wow that is narrow. I did not know they existed. Learn something new every day.
(02-28-2018, 09:31 PM)gjohn Wrote: Wow that is narrow. I did not know they existed. Learn something new every day.

I think that other than shop-modified versions, only LN makes one.  I've never seen a vintage chisel that small - only 1/8" paring - and very few of those.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm trying to understand why they'd have 1/10" on their site and not 1/8". I've got a 1/8" mortise chisel but hadn't heard of a 1/10".
(03-01-2018, 10:36 AM)JQuacker Wrote: I'm trying to understand why they'd have 1/10" on their site and not 1/8". I've got a 1/8" mortise chisel but hadn't heard of a 1/10".

Because Larry Williams asked for one:

http://www.planemaker.com/
Speaking of mortise chisels, did anyone see the new ones offered by Henry Eckert Toolworks? They're made with PMA11V which I'm assuming is near to the same as LV's PM-V11 tool steel, regardless they look really nice although metric sizing. I was thinking about grabbing one, on the very rare occasions that I feel the need to do the mortise by hand rather than using my mortiser, but then I remembered how much I dislike doing mortising.
This is the only other thing I could find. A 2.5mm chisel. Not sure how long it would take to receive the item in the mail. It's claiming to be a Japanese made chisel for about $23 USD
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10149527
[Image: 10149527.jpg]
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
I am going to give hollow and rounds another try. I have a 1/8" mortise chisel and may stick with that. The cost of tapered irons add up pretty quickly. Already have the beech blanks cut out.
Well if they come out as nice as the Jack plane you gave away the other day then I may contact you to make me a small set lol.
You could make your own 1/10" chisel. 7/64" (0.109375") thick flat stock, O1, oil hardening tool steel is pretty close to 1/10". Or get 1/8" and grind the business end down to 1/10th. And it will give you some practice at heat treating as you will need to do that to your plane irons eventually. I would get either 1/2" or 3/4" width stock. MSC Direct (no connection) sells a 36" x 1/2" x 7/64" for less than $25. I don't know what they charge for shipping. (I had an old 1/8" sash mortise chisel and ground it to 1/10" when I took a hollow & round class. Did the trick.)
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223