How to unclog a long shop vac hose?
Question 
Hello All - I have 4" dust collectors for my larger machines, but for the hand held tools and bench cleanup, I've used a Fein vac w/ a small cyclone collector attached (like the combo below but an older version) for years - I use a long hose (12+ ft) which is about 1 1/2" in diameter - occasionally  this hose plugs near the attachment to the cyclone device which is easy to clear - tonight I lost suction, cleared the usual spot but w/o much success - I ran a long skinny plumbing snake and encountered a block in the hose - could not push the snake through - ran in some water, waited and the snake still would not push through the blockage - ughh! 
Mad

Any other suggestions?  Maybe I need shorter hoses w/ interconnects for easier 'unplugging'?  Not sure that a wide caliber hose would help if the limitation is at the connection sites?  Appreciate any comments - I use this Fein vac constantly - thanks.  Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Have you tried squeezing the hose to see if you can compress the blockage?  Do you have something other than the plumbing snake that you can try forcing through the blockage? A 10-foot length of 3/8-inch rebar costs about $3.00.
(03-01-2018, 12:10 AM)giradman Wrote: Hello All - I have 4" dust collectors for my larger machines, but for the hand held tools and bench cleanup, I've used a Fein vac w/ a small cyclone collector attached (like the combo below but an older version) for years - I use a long hose (12+ ft) which is about 1 1/2" in diameter - occasionally  this hose plugs near the attachment to the cyclone device which is easy to clear - tonight I lost suction, cleared the usual spot but w/o much success - I ran a long skinny plumbing snake and encountered a block in the hose - could not push the snake through - ran in some water, waited and the snake still would not push through the blockage - ughh! 
Mad

Any other suggestions?  Maybe I need shorter hoses w/ interconnects for easier 'unplugging'?  Not sure that a wide caliber hose would help if the limitation is at the connection sites?  Appreciate any comments - I use this Fein vac constantly - thanks.  Dave
Maybe 1/2" pvc or copper with a cap on the end to prevent damaging the hose.  I have the 1/2" copper and caps on hand so that is probably what I would use if that didn't work I would use 1/2" pvc with some drill type edges and turn it by hand to work it through
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I squeeze the hose or hit it with a hammer handle while it is off, then turn it on and hit it some and that usually clears it. If your getting wood slivers in the hose, try a 3/8" meshed screen on the inlet side to trap those. Easier to clean the screen.
You could have a sliver of wood trapped in the hose and the clog will just return until you get that out.

A long perforated hose slows the air down- try 1.5" pvc and short sections of flexible hose at the ends for connecting.
After you clear the blockage you really need to figure out why your cyclone isn't working. Nothing big enough to block the hose should ever be getting through it. Any chance you have it plumbed backwards?
I used a push broom handle when I had a clog, worked for me.
I’ve sometimes had good luck swinging them around from an end at high speed.
Push air thru in reverse with a leaf blower. Mine reportedly moves air at 172mph. Might be fun.
Small hook of coat hanger taped on the end of broom stick, reach in and disrupt the blockage while vac is on at the other end. That or just will out the blockage with the hook.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

My 2"+ hose is 25' long and has plugged a few times.  I've used both, the broom handle and the swing method.  But if you have used a plumbing snake and are unable to push through it from either end, you sir, have a serious plug!  At this point I'm thinking I would try a mallet and compressed air.  Sure hope something works for you.  By-all-means please let us know what worked and what caused the plug.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood