grounding dust collection
(03-02-2018, 10:41 AM)TDKPE Wrote: And from cranes.  One of our customers had a problem with a yard tower crane that was zapping anyone who touched the rigging due to very close proximity to a commercial radio or TV transmitter tower.  We sourced an isolation link for them to insulate the hook from the load line.  Problem solved.  But the guys were actually getting hurt before that.

So dry in the winter that I can pull a spark from a painted surface on my lathe or planer  Figure it's the rubber (pun?) belts that charge 'em.  And both are grounded, of course.  

Tough to ground an insulator.  Conductors, yes.  

SWMBO gives me a zap once in a while when she shuffles her feet....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
My belt sander shocks the crap out of me when I have the shop vac hooked to it.

I've accidently sent sparks into the shop vac while sanding wood. If that didn't ignite the sanding dust I don't think anything will.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

In my first shop I went through the process of grounding. Second, and larger shop, I did not. I don't see any difference whatever. This comes up every once in a while and the evidence for real concern in a hobby shop environment is nil; now, to be clear, in an industrial production environment there is some data IIRC, but we are talking about huge dust collection systems.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-01-2018, 04:08 PM)Cooler Wrote: When I got my dust collector (with 4" plastic tubing) I ordered a grounding kit.  I never hooked it up.

How important is this?

All I know is when I touch my flex tubing I will get a shock so I am going to put it on my new system.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-03-2018, 12:48 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: All I know is when I touch my flex tubing I will get a shock so I am going to put it on my new system.

If you ground just the spiral wire in your flex tubing, that may be sufficient.
I think this is well over hyped.

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/articles/dustExplosion.html
(03-03-2018, 02:40 PM)Alan S Wrote: If you ground just the spiral wire in your flex tubing, that may be sufficient.

How would I get both wires connected together?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-04-2018, 12:32 PM)Cian Wrote: I think this is well over hyped.

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/articles/dustExplosion.html

Even if you discount the fire danger, getting shocked multiple times a day becomes a comfort in the work environment issue.  If the shocking continues I will eventually ground what needs to be grounded so I don't fear using my tools.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-05-2018, 05:42 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: How would I get both wires connected together?

All you would need to do is to nick the outside plastic layer to allow you to connect a wire to the metal spiral of the flex tubing, and connect that wire to something grounded, like the chassis of the DC itself.  Or you could get access to the spiral from either end.  This is just to keep from getting shocked when you touch it.
Thanks for all the replies.

My niece does some very nice arts & crafts jewelry from wire.  I think I will donate the copper wire to her.

Big Grin

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.