Sycamore
(03-02-2018, 07:44 AM)EricU Wrote: I got some sycamore really cheap.  It does have a reputation for being a little unstable.  But QS makes that better.  This stuff definitely dried funny.  It was S2S and wasn't really dry when it was surfaced, had some warps that I have never seen before in any other wood.  OTOH, it really hasn't moved on me after I cut it up.  It is a shame it wasn't QS, it's really boring except on the edges

^^This 100%

I had a sawyer sell me flat and quarter sawn sycamore.  The flat sawn material did not dry well.  Lots of twists.  He refunded my money. 

I kept the 1/4 sawn material.  It has beautiful grain and figure.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(03-01-2018, 05:22 PM)Darknight Wrote: Hi all - My brother-in-law has two very large sycamore trees in his front yard that he has to remove due to the roots ruining his sewage lines.

He was thinking about turning the trees into boards, but wasn't sure if it was a good wood to build stuff.

He asked me, but don't think I've ever seen a piece that was made from sycamore and I don't ever recall reading anything about this species on these forums.

Has anyone ever built anything from sycamore?  I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

Dark

Attached Files Image(s)

I love QS sycamore - great looking wood.  I works like hard maple.  I tried staining a piece - didn't like the affect - might be just me. 

I have about 30 ft that I am going to use for a head board in a couple of months.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.