What kind of router bit for slab flattening?
I want to level, flatten and smooth a crosscut hard maple slab using a plunge router and sled. The piece is about three-and-a-half feet in diameter. The surface is all end grain. It's been air drying for several years. Any suggestions as to what kind of router bit to use?
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
https://www.infinitytools.com/routing/ro...outer-bits
(03-02-2018, 04:59 PM)rectangle618 Wrote: I want to level, flatten and smooth a crosscut hard maple slab using a plunge router and sled.  The piece is about three-and-a-half feet in diameter.  The surface is all end grain.  It's been air drying for several years.  Any suggestions as to what kind of router bit to use?

I use a 1/2" straight bit.  Never done end grain, but I've done several regular slabs.  I never tried a larger diameter bit for fear of it wanting to run away with me.  

John
(03-02-2018, 05:12 PM)Lucky Irish Wrote: https://www.infinitytools.com/routing/ro...outer-bits

Thanks for that link. Those look like the right tool for the job. I ordered a 1" diameter with 1/2" shaft. I don't think my router is big enough to drive a larger diameter bit.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
(03-02-2018, 05:12 PM)Lucky Irish Wrote: https://www.infinitytools.com/routing/ro...outer-bits

+1
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I found that for edge trimming (using a base riding on the panel) and flattening a dish carving or bowl bit is awesome. It has a flat bottom to give a smooth finish, but the lower corners of the Carbide are radiused. 

The radius means that the wood is being cut in steps down rather than full depth at once, reducing tear out a lot, even cutting against the grain.

I show the technique here:

Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-02-2018, 08:57 PM)handi Wrote: I found that for edge trimming (using a base riding on the panel) and flattening a dish carving or bowl bit is awesome. It has a flat bottom to give a smooth finish, but the lower corners of the Carbide are radiused. 

The radius means that the wood is being cut in steps down rather than full depth at once, reducing tear out a lot, even cutting against the grain.

I have always used one like the infinity planer bit.  However, I like the idea of the bowl carving bit.  I will have to try that.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(03-02-2018, 08:30 PM)rectangle618 Wrote: Thanks for that link.  Those look like the right tool for the job.  I ordered a 1" diameter with 1/2" shaft.  I don't think my router is big enough to drive a larger diameter bit.

You're welcome.
Please let us know how it works for you.