Can ceramic tile be applied to wood paneling?
We are redoing a kitchen in a small villa. We want to have a ceramic tile backsplash. We bought 1/4" thick ceramic tiles in 12" sheets from Lowes. Here's the problem. The wall behind the sink and cabinets is 1/8" wood paneling nailed to studs. The Lowe's worker who would install the ceramic tiles said he could not do the job if he didn't install sheet rock over the wood panels. I guess the 1/8" thick wood paneling is not strong enough to bear the weight of the ceramic tiles. Is this correct? Do I have to cover the wood paneling with sheet rock? Can the ceramic tile be directly applied to the paneling without building up the wall? Thanks.
If there is nothing supporting the paneling I would be afraid of it flexing and causing the tiles to come off

(03-03-2018, 04:37 PM)goaliedad Wrote: If there is nothing supporting the paneling I would be afraid of it flexing and causing the tiles to come off
 +1  and the flexing would cause the grout to fail.   Roly
Can it be done.  Yes. Should it be done. No. 

I would remove the ply and replace with drywall or if not easy to remove cover with drywall or maybe 1/4" backer board if the existing is pretty stiff. If not then use .5".
(03-03-2018, 04:37 PM)goaliedad Wrote: If there is nothing supporting the paneling I would be afraid of it flexing and causing the tiles to come off

Yes.  However, if the wood is applied over sheet rock, I'd wonder if you couldn't add more screws and then glue to that - like you would with underlayment for a floor???  I'd still be concerned that 16" between fasteners is too much/risking a little movement, unless it was glued up as well.  If it is not glued and there is something under it, why not pull the plywood off?  Come to think of it...how hard would it be to take the plywood off and screw in drywall?  The seams wouldn't need to be paint ready, just smooth enough to not telegraph through the joints in the new tile.
(03-03-2018, 04:31 PM)JSpill Wrote: Can the ceramic tile be directly applied to the paneling without building up the wall? Thanks.

No. It will fail. Are you sure it's 1/4"? Sounds thick for paneling. The reason I ask is that you could cut out the paneling where the tile will be and fill between the studs with 3/4" plywood and install it with pocket screws. Then set 1/4" Durock where the paneling was. Durock isn't real stable either so make sure it's tight to the ply. 1/4" Durock is generally used as underlayment and supported by the flooring.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

So....using a vinyl thinset wouldn't hold the tile????
I've seen ceramic tiles on wood flooring, using vinyl type thinset.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-04-2018, 04:00 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So....using a vinyl thinset wouldn't hold the tile????
I've seen ceramic tiles on wood flooring, using vinyl type thinset.

It's done but it generally isn't recommended. It's s shortcut. It's fine until the floor moves. I've seen old tile floors on wood but not a lot of them. It really depends on how stable the floor is and you really won't know till it's tiled. Keep in mind that most modern sub-floors are close to 3/4"
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Thank you for all the information. We have decided to scrap the idea. There is too much work and expense involved for a kitchen we use only one month of the year. I think we will have a new countertop installed and just paint the paneled wall behind it.
Glue on some plastic laminate?  Would wash up better than paint.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.