DW735 - Byrd Shelix Install - oil smell?
I just installed a new Byrd cutterhead in my planer yesterday. I can't see that I did anything wrong. The test cut was great - I ran a rough padauk board through and it came out wonderfully - quiet, smooth, less snipe than the knives, everything I wanted.

The thing is, I noticed an oily smell (probably gear oil or bearing grease). It doesn't smell anything like Padauk, so I know it's not that. I *think*, but I'm not sure, that it happens while cutting. I can't pinpoint the smell to anything on the machine.

Has this happened to anybody else? It could be bearing grease as the factory cutterhead had a lot of grease on the transmission side. I didn't see any other opportunities for any petroleum product to get to a place where it could burn.

I'm not convinced it's anything to worry about, but I'm not convinced it's not either.
New cutter head should of had a light oil coating on it to protect from surface rust while it was stored in the box.
That's probably what you are smelling.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020