How does everyone save for tools
Me I steal my wife's change and put it in my piggy bank and get about two dollars a month.  I have an allowance of $50 but since my shop was put up it is going to pay the bank for it.

So how do you guys do it?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Sorry Arlin.  That information is classified.  If I told you, my wife would have to kill me.   
Uhoh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

We rathole cash. Not just for tools.
Course I don't buy hardly any tools anymore. I have all of them.
Winkgrin
Laugh
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-05-2018, 01:08 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Me I steal my wife's change and put it in my piggy bank and get about two dollars a month.  I have an allowance of $50 but since my shop was put up it is going to pay the bank for it.

Things have been tough since I quit going TDY.  Fortunately all the big stationary tools were purchased before I retired from that job.  Soviets pretty much picked up room/board when I flew with them.  

Now SWMBO allows me 50% of profit from shows/sales.  

I have inflated my expenses a bit here and there, I must confess.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
While it sounds easy, the main thing is to have a fund and NOT touch it.
When you find a bit extra, stick it in that fund. I make a few bucks by
recycling cans and bottles.  LOML and I both put all our loose change
in a jar and occasionally I will stack/wrap it. Goes into the fund. If I sell
a tool, goes into the fund. Etc.  It adds up over time. The main thing
is NOT to touch it, until that day arrives, as mine did the other day
(see my post about that) you KNOW that you have pinched and scraped
to get that fund able to take the hit, and it is very satisfying to make a
good score as we all know.

LOML knows I have a fund. She does NOT know how much is in it at
any given time.

Some things a guy just keeps to himself.

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Every project my wife decides we need includes an additional 10% for tools. Hit the jackpot this time....we're doing a bathroom remodel and in the last few weeks I got a nice tile saw, new drill/driver set (not much more than a couple of replacement batteries), and a laser level. Although I did tell her that I planned on putting the tile saw on Craigs List after I was finished with it.

Start new projects that SHE wants...
(03-05-2018, 01:46 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Sorry Arlin.  That information is classified.  If I told you, my wife would have to kill me.   
Uhoh

Laugh
Laugh

I am no longer married.  The tools did have something to do with that!  It was more that tools, obviously, but they were a factor.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(03-05-2018, 01:08 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Me I steal my wife's change and put it in my piggy bank and get about two dollars a month.  I have an allowance of $50 but since my shop was put up it is going to pay the bank for it.

First, I buy mostly used tools.  Sometimes the folks on Woodnet mess me up, by posting great deals, which I cannot pass up, but mostly used.  

I live in a area of the country where housing is dirt cheap.  People are leaving the high taxed rust belt states in droves, leaving a supply/demand curve for housing in favor of the buyer.  I can spend what would be housing budget in other areas of the country, on tools.  Eventually that will end, because I will join the leavers when I retire, if not before.

I don't necessarily budget for tools.  I budget for discretionary spending.  Tools comes out of that piece of the pie.
Once I built up a workable collection of tools, my wife and I made a decision that the hobby needed to be self-sustaining at the very least.  Ideally, it should be an asset to the household economy, not a liability.  

So if I need a new tool, then I need to first build and sell something.  It's not all that hard to do, and there are a few items (wooden spoons, spatulas, tobacco pipes, marking gauges, mallets) that I make on a semi-regular basis in order to keep the hobby solvent.  Sometimes I even make a profit!  That goes in the date-night fund.  (That said, I need to take my wife out on a date soon. Anybody want to buy a marking gauge?)  

It's not just the woodworking that gets this treatment, though.  We decided early on that we were not going to invest large amounts of money into hobbies unless they made an equal contribution to the household in some way--whether that's in terms of money, health, intellect, or aesthetic beauty.  So we work wood, tend a garden, play musical instruments, and read books aloud to each other.  Those hobbies all enrich the household in some distinctive way.  I don't have any way to quantify each hobby's contribution to our family economy, but the contributions are real nonetheless.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(03-05-2018, 04:33 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: ... That goes in the date-night fund...

I found the secret!  I should have learned that years ago.