How does everyone save for tools
SWMBO gives me a monthly alllowance, it usually goes for either woodworking or fishing.  If I need/want something that exceeds my allowance, we sit down and negotiate.  If its a project she wants down, its usually an easy sell.  Fortunately, we both have well-paying careers, so money isn't that tight, wasn't always that way.
"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other is that heat comes from the furnace." - Aldo Leopold
(03-07-2018, 04:08 AM)ianab Wrote: Sell something that you make. As long as you are covering the cost of the materials it doesn't really matter if you only make $5 an hour on your "hobby". Spend a weekend, $50 of materials, and sell something for $100, that's $50 left in the tool budget. 

Heck I'm having to be careful because I'm almost making a profit and will have to declare it on my tax return. Not a big amount, but when you make start making some $500+ pieces and have to provide actual invoices to get paid, it adds up. Having to actually start some accounting here 
Crazy

I mean for example, friend of my wife wanted an outdoor table of a specific size for her Kindergarten. I have been milling some Port Orford Cedar, and they like that in the pre-schools because it's durable without chemical treatment. So I plane some up and build this, more carpentry than woodworking, but it was delivered yesterday, with a bill for $250 (discount for friends, plus items over $300 needed official approval) 

I'm out some sawmill running costs, gas etc, a pack of stainless wood screws, and the time it took to turn a standing tree into this. Expenses maybe $100? Woohoo, that's my new sander paid for. 

Another guy wanted a a surfboard shaped cutting board to give to a retiring workmate. A few short contrasting boards glued up, band saw into a surfboard like shape, and routed / sanded smooth. Told the guy $70 and he paid me $90. It was a pretty neat board. 
Big Grin  

PS if the table wasn't for a friend I would have charged more, and still sold it. 

PPS be careful, you might get more orders than you really want... Then it becomes a job. 

PPPS I'm pretty certain I'm not taking work away from serious woodworkers trying to make a living with the stuff I'm building. It's rustic / salvage and recycle around here.

That just gave me an idea.

I still have about 18 dozen hand made roses and need to sell them for Mothersday like I did two years ago.  If I get better I can make some vases along with them to sell again like last time and maybe I can sell some other stuff I make in S&S to.

Also maybe I can have a garage sale on all my wifes cloths and purses and shoes and see what that gets me. 
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-07-2018, 03:41 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I still have about 18 dozen hand made roses and need to sell them for Mothersday like I did two years ago.  

Well, get on it. I'd like to buy some.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(03-06-2018, 02:40 PM)mad_planter Wrote: Wrote: You need more than one wife to get change from.

Arlin Eastman

Eek
Eek
Eek  I think one is enough don't you. 
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

O thinking here will your wife help me. 
Laugh
Laugh

Just think, with a few more wives, you could sell those roses in a mom and pop and mom and mom and mom store
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(03-07-2018, 03:41 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: That just gave me an idea.

Also maybe I can have a garage sale on all my wifes cloths and purses and shoes and see what that gets me. 
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Laugh

A Concussion, if you are lucky. 
Laugh

If you do try it, can I have your stuff? 
Yes
(03-05-2018, 01:08 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Me I steal my wife's change and put it in my piggy bank and get about two dollars a month.  I have an allowance of $50 but since my shop was put up it is going to pay the bank for it.

So how do you guys do it?

My wife and I have the Citi Double Cash back Mastercard which gives you 2% back on purchases.  I charge everything I can on the card to get the 2% and pay it off in full each month.  I just let it build up until it's enough to get what I want.  Right now I've got around $540 earned - thinking of getting a Byrd Shelix head for my DW735.
(03-10-2018, 08:44 AM)Sullivan Wrote: My wife and I have the Citi Double Cash back Mastercard which gives you 2% back on purchases.  I charge everything I can on the card to get the 2% and pay it off in full each month.  I just let it build up until it's enough to get what I want.  Right now I've got around $540 earned - thinking of getting a Byrd Shelix head for my DW735.

I don't get much personal money as part of my being a Franciscan Friar but I do this.

I have a credit card that is used for my community life expenses (groceries, gas, etc.).

I saved up a few years ago and was able to afford a very nice Grizzly drill press.
Peter

My "day job"
(03-10-2018, 01:41 AM)ianab Wrote: A Concussion, if you are lucky. 
Laugh

If you do try it, can I have your stuff? 
Yes

Only if you stand next to me while she does it.
Laugh
Laugh
Winkgrin

Cletus

Yesterday I finally made my first turning in 14 months and it was a vase that I will sell with the flowers.  The bottom is Honey Locust and the neck is walnut and paduak.  (Spelling is wrong)
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

My wife and I have an agreement to not get each other something for birthdays/Christmas, rather we get something we want on our own, wrap it up, then open it in front of the kids so it looks like the other one got it. I'm eyeing a up a new drill/impact driver combo for my birthday and fathers day
Smile

I haven't gone this route, but a buddy of mine donates plasma and he uses that to fund his fishing addiction. I think he said it was like $50/month.. or maybe it was a week, don't recall
(03-11-2018, 12:01 AM)appletonrc Wrote: My wife and I have an agreement to not get each other something for birthdays/Christmas, rather we get something we want on our own, wrap it up, then open it in front of the kids so it looks like the other one got it.  I'm eyeing a up a new drill/impact driver combo for my birthday and fathers day
Smile

I haven't gone this route, but a buddy of mine donates plasma and he uses that to fund his fishing addiction.  I think he said it was like $50/month.. or maybe it was a week, don't recall

I have been told I could not give blood even before I retired the first time.  Something about a parasite in my blood plus all the meds I now take gets me out of the blood donation.

Peter

I always wondered how Catholic Priests get paid.