planes
As always all have been precision ground and are no more than .0015 of an inch out of being perfectly flat. The sides have been ground with the same care and precision and are also ground square to the bottom. The would make a good choice of a plane for shooting board work.

I touched up the plane irons on all of the planes.  It helps with sharpening, It doesn't require any lapping but  a lot of people will still do it. The top on. some of the earlier irons needed a little help after about 100 years or so. I also flatten the backs at the cutting edge. It helps the blade to make full contact with the frog and I feel it helps reduce chatter.

First up is a  nice Bailey #4C smoother. It is a type12.  I believe the only difference between a type 11 and a type 12 is the 11 has a low knob and the 12 a high knob. The body has been stripped and repainted with several coats so it resembles japanning. The tote and knob show very little wear and tear and are made out of rosewood.

I guess all that needs to be done to put it in service is sharpening.  To help keep my costs down and the fact a lot of woodworkers prefer to sharpen themselves I don't sharpen. Usually on old irons, the whole angle needs to be reshaped and I can sharpen for an extra $10. Asking $75 plus shipping, or $90 shipped priority mail to anywhere conus.

I also have a Bailey #4 smoother that is flat bottomed. This plane is a war plane. The wood is original right down to the steel screws. The japanning is about 93% and it is ready for service except for sharpening. Asking $65 shipped. 

Pictures say it all.

Thanks for looking

Tom
I also have a  super fine Bailey#5. The body has been stripped and repainted with at least 5 coats of paint. The knob and tote are made by be out of Babinga. Personally I think it is a beautiful plane and one of the nicest I have ever sold. Asking $90 plus shipping. Again pictures say t all.

[attachment=8823] 

Thanks again for considering it.

Tom
No,  I am not back to grinding planes. These are a couple that I just happened to have worked a head on.

Tom
PM sent on #5, looking for verification.
(03-06-2018, 08:24 PM)David Knight Wrote: PM sent on #5, looking for verification.

I do not know types or worry about those things  so I do not know if the plane will be early enough for David. Judging by the thickness of the casting and the lever cap I would guess just before the war or just after way but I really don't have a clue for sure. All the casting stress should have been gone after at least 70 years before precision regrinding and it is a wonderful plane for the price.

Tom
In all truthfulness there is not another plane as well restored and flat on the market as these for the prices. And I only have a few left, mostly #6s.

Tom
Sent you a PM Tom; I’ll take the 5.

David
(03-07-2018, 07:51 PM)David Knight Wrote: Sent you a PM Tom; I’ll take the 5.

David

#5 is sold.

Tom
I picked up the plane from the post office today, Tom. Beautiful work; thank you very much.

David