He looks so young.
Cleaned out a closet and found one of my old books from 1989.
 I made that table on the bottom right and still have it.

He was always my favorite.

[Image: Yv48MIo.jpg]
(03-05-2018, 10:15 PM)daddo Wrote: Cleaned out a closet and found one of my old books from 1989.
 I made that table on the bottom right and still have it.

He was always my favorite.

[Image: Yv48MIo.jpg]

Well, as were we all!  Use to watch Norm on the New Yankee Workshop and also on the older version of This Old House w/ Steve - B/W pic below of the two - enjoyed both tremendously!  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
I have a copy of that floating around somewhere....
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Norm was the best, IMO! Remember seeing the very first episode of TOH with Bob Vila that Norm appeared on. Bob had hired him to do a job on the house; I don't remember the task.

Doug
I looked forward to the new episodes of the New Yankee Workshop to see what Norm was building.  Although not a wood worker back then (I'm still not) I appreciated the craftsmanship and how he explained everything in his shows.
I have that book, and his second, and went to a homeowner show decades ago and he signed both of them for me. Very nice man in person, gracious, and asked me what I was currently building. I miss his show.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I still watch his show on YouTube. A lot of people have criticized him over the years for not building his own projects. I guess they never understood the basis of the show. I think it was a well thought out show in that we got to see a little bit of how life was back 150+/-yrs ago & how they may have used that piece. In the end it was just a good info based woodworking show.
(03-06-2018, 08:32 AM)GlenS Wrote: I still watch his show on YouTube. A lot of people have criticized him over the years for not building his own projects. I guess they never understood the basis of the show. I think it was a well thought out show in that we got to see a little bit of how life was back 150+/-yrs ago & how they may have used that piece. In the end it was just a good info based woodworking show.

Care to elaborate on this one, please?

Doug
I thought a lot of people criticized him for "just a few brads to hold it until the glue dries"? I liked his show for that. He presented what most woodworkers are gonna do.
Hi Doug. Over the years I've ran into a lot of woodworkers,, locals & at trade shows, that didn't like his blatant copying of the antique pieces he's built. They thought he should be more creative & build things that he dreamed up & drew up on his own. That's all.

IMO Norm did woodworking an incredible service by showing people that we don't have to buy overpriced pieces when we can build our own. Nowadays with tool & material costs I'm not so sure we can build affordable furniture for ourselves. However the,, I built that,, factor never goes away.