Why Do I Need My Table Saw?
(03-08-2018, 07:16 PM)AHill Wrote: OK, just to clarify.  Here's what needs to fit into one stall of my garage:  

Sjoberg Elite 2500 workbench (8' long!) w/ cabinet for hand planes, etc.
Nova DVR Lathe
Jet 14" bandsaw
Jet Dust Collector (the big one with canister filter)
Delta Lunchbox Planer (on rolling platform with cabinet)
Rolling Tool Chest #1 (general marking & measuring tools, rasps, etc.)
Rolling Tool Chest #2 (lathe tools)
Stacked Festool Stuff
Festool Dust Collector w/ Dust Deputy
Wood
Various cordless and portable tools (drills, trim routers, etc.)
Mechanics & Other Hand Tools (general stuff)
Two to three shelving units for storage of containers, hardware, glue, etc.
Metal cabinet for storage of finishes, glue, etc.

What I am considering to sell or put into storage:
Powermatic PM2000 TS
Makita Miter Saw with Stand
Router Table
TS Accessories
Rigid Oscillating Spindle Sander
Delta Drill Press (maybe - it sure comes in handy for drilling pen blanks)
For comparison, what I have in one stall of my 2 car (cars still don't get in, the other stall has the canoe and kayaks and camping gear.

Delta with 32" fence (into which I've put my router table)
Shopsmith (mostly used as lathe and drill press)
Jointer
Rigid Lunchbox planer
14" Steel City bandsaw
Sjobergs bench (the small one unfortunately)
Jet Midi Lathe
Craftsman rolling tool cabinet
Grinder
Scroll Saw
Miter Saw
Mortiser
Diamond Rock Saw (the miter saw, mortise, & rock saw are on a single 8 foot bench that serves to divide the two stalls with cabinets below it.)
Canister dust collector
Assorted planes, hand tools, mechanics tools, drills, routers, circ saw, jig saw, etc)

Never use the jointer since I do all my jointing by hand, so I've considered selling it.  Have also considered selling the Shopsmith and just getting a drill press, but every time I get serious about it, dang, I need the lathe function for something too big for my midi lathe).  Have also considered selling the table saw and just going with the band saw. 

If I had it to do from scratch, I'd probably skip the table saw and instead of a 14 inch band saw go ahead and get a 16 or 18 inch one to replace both tools.  And instead of the Shopsmith & midi lathe, I'd just get a drill press and full size lathe.  Would also skip the jointer.

I did go ahead and spend the money to have a 220 and couple of extra 20 amp 110 circuits put in.  It is cramped no doubt, but I can handle small stuff in it.  If I do cabinet work, I have to move the kayaks outside to spread out.

jim
Do you have a Maker's Space near you?  Our's will accept long term tool loans, and you can reclaim the tools when you are ready for your new shop.
LIL, here's my take on your situation. First, I'm a power tool junkie, no doubt about it. I personally couldn't live without my tablesaw. Now, having said that, I thought about your situation. Since you don't build large things, that helps. You have a potential plan for working with sheet goods when necessary. My only thought would be using a dado set in a tablesaw. There are many ways around this. I remember an occasion when I needed to use a dado set in a jobsite saw. I put the 6" set on the saw and made my cuts, no problems. I've found ways to make my jobsite saw make many cuts while on a jobsite, you make do with what you have.

I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd sell all of the tools that would be put in storage, creating a tool fund. I'd buy whatever necessary to break down sheet goods and keep the rest in reserve. As time goes on, you may decide that a jobsite tablesaw would be a benefit, maybe not. Also, you could always buy more tooling for your existing tools. Cut back as much as possible and then rebuild your inventory, if necessary. I think you'll be surprised at how you can make do with fewer tools.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-10-2018, 03:17 PM)Eurekan Wrote: I've got an obviously out of the ordinary reply since no one else has mentioned it. When I had a small shop I had a Radial Arm Saw. I still have it even though I have a table saw now. I could do just about everything my table saw can do and also more than my table saw. It needs a little more care and adjustment for good results but it rarely moved away from against the wall. Some folks are scared of a RAS but if you think things through you rarely have a problem. I never had a safety issue in 20+ years. Yes if I had to go back to a smaller shop I would ditch the table saw and keep the RAS.

If I were stuck in the position of downsizing severely, I, too, would keep my RAS and get rid of the TS. I have one of the old "good" ones, a DeWalt 1030.
Semper fi,
Brad

(03-11-2018, 09:47 AM)museumguy Wrote:  My only thought would be using a dado set in a tablesaw. There are many ways around this.

I have a router and router table.  Don't necessarily need the router table, but a straightedge and portable router will definitely make dados.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Just sold my Table saw (Hybrid) this past weekend with the intent to replace it with a true cabinet saw. Now that I freed up that space, I am starting to think that maybe, just maybe, I could live without one.

But, I am going to go ahead and get one because I do more work on a table saw then any other tool. I just have to keep the fence system down to 32 - 36" to fit the space.
I also wouldn't want to be without a table saw.
I rip too many thin strips which I can't imagine doing on a track saw. If it's even possible.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(03-19-2018, 08:36 AM)Pirate Wrote: I rip too many thin strips which I can't imagine doing on a track saw. If it's even possible.

ripping thin strips with tracksaw