Why Do I Need My Table Saw?
From one who's recently made a similar decision, I packed up my shop in April of 2015. I unpacked at at the new house in January of 2016. The new shop is considerably smaller than the old one. One of the first power tools that I decided I didn't need was my tablesaw. I have other tools that can do most of what I used it for, and I hadn't done much flatwork in a few years at that point. I don't miss it.
(03-06-2018, 01:12 PM)AHill Wrote: Some background:
I just moved cross-country and will be in a home where the garage is not a viable option for my complete shop.  I have a PM2000 3HP TS with 50" rails.  I have a lot of hand tools (planes, chisels, etc.).  I have a BS, jointer, planer, router table, DC, miter saw, full size lathe, and a host of other power tools.  My current plan is to put the larger stationary tools in storage and keep the workbench, hand tools, lathe and bandsaw in the garage.  The jointer, miter saw, DC, and planer head into storage.  Long-term solution is to find a cheap property where I can build a dedicated shop.  But do I really need to?  I'm 5 years away from retirement.  Rental costs for storage for 5 years will add up quickly.  I could just as well sell off the stationary tools that would go into storage.  I have a Festool TS75 I can use to break down sheet goods.  Money saved from selling the stationary tools could easily purchase an MFT, which together with the TS75 would accomplish probably 80-90% of what I could do with a TS.  I can use the BS for ripping.  I can use my hand tools for thickness planing (a lot of work, admittedly).  I don't normally build large things.  Mostly boxes and small wall cabinets and the like.  Nothing like tables or large free-standing cabinets.  I do enjoy turning, so keeping the lathe is not negotiable.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Is this a viable plan?  Should I be more minimalist?

I would not want to be a minimalist woodworker. Each tool carefully selected, bought and used is a joy. Hobby woodworking is about joy and why limiting yourself to a minimalist set of tools, if money is not a concern here. But only you can figure out if and why you would want to be more minimalist.

For my style of woodworking, any tracksaw system including the MFT is no match to my tablesaw. My tablesaw will be the last piece of machine to go when I quit woodworking. A tracksaw is fine for handling sheet goods or larger stock; it can't match a tablesaw in many situations. I do have a Festool TS but it has not been used for more than 10% of my builds (which include everything from small to slightly large but mostly medium size).

Since you rely on storage for tools you can't put in your temporary shop for 5 years or so, I would sell and get rid of the tablesaw, the jointer (Close to being useless anyway if you have a thickness planner), and DC unless the DC is  a good HEPA one. Five years later, you can buy a better or safer saw and a DC -- to celebrate your retirement.

Simon
Hi,

If you really only plan to do boxes and small cabinets, you could sell the Powermatic and look into Byrnes machines. I don't have the table saw (I've often thought of buying one even though I have a full-size table saw) but I do have the thickness sander, which is just great. I can tell you that his machines are beautifully engineered and last a very long time. Plus, when you call with a question, you talk to Jim himself.

And you could put that table saw anywhere.
(03-06-2018, 01:12 PM)AHill Wrote: Some background:
I just moved cross-country and will be in a home where the garage is not a viable option for my complete shop.  I have a PM2000 3HP TS with 50" rails.  I have a lot of hand tools (planes, chisels, etc.).  I have a BS, jointer, planer, router table, DC, miter saw, full size lathe, and a host of other power tools.  My current plan is to put the larger stationary tools in storage and keep the workbench, hand tools, lathe and bandsaw in the garage.  The jointer, miter saw, DC, and planer head into storage.  Long-term solution is to find a cheap property where I can build a dedicated shop.  But do I really need to?  I'm 5 years away from retirement.  Rental costs for storage for 5 years will add up quickly.  I could just as well sell off the stationary tools that would go into storage.  I have a Festool TS75 I can use to break down sheet goods.  Money saved from selling the stationary tools could easily purchase an MFT, which together with the TS75 would accomplish probably 80-90% of what I could do with a TS.  I can use the BS for ripping.  I can use my hand tools for thickness planing (a lot of work, admittedly).  I don't normally build large things.  Mostly boxes and small wall cabinets and the like.  Nothing like tables or large free-standing cabinets.  I do enjoy turning, so keeping the lathe is not negotiable.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Is this a viable plan?  Should I be more minimalist?

Sounds like you've already talked yourself into it. Personally, I'd be lost without my tablesaw. HOA's - glad to be done with them! 
Yes

Doug
(03-08-2018, 12:50 AM)Tapper Wrote: Sounds like you've already talked yourself into it. Personally, I'd be lost without my tablesaw. HOA's - glad to be done with them! 
Yes

The TS is probably the one machine I'd hold onto until the end.  I have the big side table (52"?) with Biesemeyer fence, and it doubles as an assembly table and general fiddle-about work space.  I have a small shaper, but there's not reason I couldn't add a router lift and lose the shaper. 

In my last house, I tucked it against a side wall in the garage, with a utility bench/shelving only a few inches above the table (just high enough to fit the fence sideways), and 'stuff' stacked under and around it like a Chinese puzzle.  Just a slot in the 'stuff' for the side table legs.  The mobile base is just the square one without the extension for the side table, which it doesn't seem to need anyway.  I put the caster wheel in the front so I could roll it against the wall. 

If I had to, I could have put a lunchbox planer and table top DP on that utility bench, and my small jointer was also tucked under the bench.  Or maybe right next to it.  It was a long time ago.
Crazy

But I can't imagine giving up my Unisaw unless and until they put me in a home.
Sad
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-07-2018, 01:01 PM)AHill Wrote: Mostly (95%) a space issue, and partly (5%) a 220v availability issue.  A few years ago I considered going to 30" rails.  That saves some space, but compared to a job site or contractor's saw, it doesn't save that much room.  To be honest, with an MFT/3 table, the Festool TS75 will practically replace the PM2000, and the table folds up for storage, so that's a plus.  I'll have a 3 car garage with the 3rd stall as my shop.  Currently, there's no subpanel, so no available 220v power.

Ah, a power issue. I have to admit that it would be frustrating to have that awesome saw sitting there and not be able to use it. I used to plug my saw into the dryer outlet before I got a dedicated 220 line. You can make a 220 extension cord if you are so inclined. I've seen them discussed here before.

Regarding saving space, a cabinet saw is remarkably space efficient.  I have very little room, but I do have a Unisaw. I also have to take it out of my storage room and pull it into my carport to use it. It fits through a 36" door. That is something a contractor saw with the motor hanging off the back could not do. If you get down to just the footprint of the saw cabinet itself, there are not much smaller saws available than a cabinet saw. It is all the stuff we attach to them that make them so large.
Allan
Where else are you going to put your turning blanks and other turning items.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(03-07-2018, 01:01 PM)AHill Wrote: Mostly (95%) a space issue, and partly (5%) a 220v availability issue.  [snip]   Currently, there's no subpanel, so no available 220v power.

Not necessarily true.  You can use two 120V receptacle circuits that are on opposite poles to get 240V, and there are commercial items that will do just that.  Safely.  Not suicide cords.  The two circuits don't even have to have the same ampacity, but the 240V circuit ampacity will be limited by the lower of the two (15A probably), which is fine for a 3 hp Unisaw, at least one with the Marathon motor.  Since kitchens are required to have two or more 20A receptacle circuits, that's a good place to pull power from, assuming it's within reach.

And as stav mentioned, an extension cord plugged into a dryer receptacle (don't need the neutral) will also get you there, though at 30A.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-08-2018, 10:24 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Allan
  Where else are you going to put your turning blanks and other turning items.

Mel

Laugh  That's one problem I had when I got rid of mine, suddenly I'd lost a surface to store stuff on.
(03-08-2018, 12:08 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Not necessarily true.  You can use two 120V receptacle circuits that are on opposite poles to get 240V, and there are commercial items that will do just that.  Safely.  Not suicide cords.  The two circuits don't even have to have the same ampacity, but the 240V circuit ampacity will be limited by the lower of the two (15A probably), which is fine for a 3 hp Unisaw, at least one with the Marathon motor.  Since kitchens are required to have two or more 20A receptacle circuits, that's a good place to pull power from, assuming it's within reach.

And as stav mentioned, an extension cord plugged into a dryer receptacle (don't need the neutral) will also get you there, though at 30A.

The main panel is not in the garage, where I'd keep my tools.  I checked also and the panel has no open breaker spots.  It's a large home with a pool and other unique electrical devices.  The laundry room is upstairs, so that would make for a very long extension cord, probably unsafe as the voltage drop would be significant by the time it makes it to the TS.  Besides, it's really more of a space issue than a power source issue.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill