Why Do I Need My Table Saw?
Some background:
I just moved cross-country and will be in a home where the garage is not a viable option for my complete shop.  I have a PM2000 3HP TS with 50" rails.  I have a lot of hand tools (planes, chisels, etc.).  I have a BS, jointer, planer, router table, DC, miter saw, full size lathe, and a host of other power tools.  My current plan is to put the larger stationary tools in storage and keep the workbench, hand tools, lathe and bandsaw in the garage.  The jointer, miter saw, DC, and planer head into storage.  Long-term solution is to find a cheap property where I can build a dedicated shop.  But do I really need to?  I'm 5 years away from retirement.  Rental costs for storage for 5 years will add up quickly.  I could just as well sell off the stationary tools that would go into storage.  I have a Festool TS75 I can use to break down sheet goods.  Money saved from selling the stationary tools could easily purchase an MFT, which together with the TS75 would accomplish probably 80-90% of what I could do with a TS.  I can use the BS for ripping.  I can use my hand tools for thickness planing (a lot of work, admittedly).  I don't normally build large things.  Mostly boxes and small wall cabinets and the like.  Nothing like tables or large free-standing cabinets.  I do enjoy turning, so keeping the lathe is not negotiable.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Is this a viable plan?  Should I be more minimalist?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Sounds like the best would be to sell off and *not* throw that rental money away.

Down the road, you could re buy if needed.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'd sell the table saw if I were you.

With what you've said and listed as your tooling on hand, I wouldn't bother with keeping any of the power tools other than the BS and lathe.

I subscribe to several YouTube channels whose hosts don't use power tools for *anything*. It's not *my* cup of tea, but they enjoy it. You just might, too.
Semper fi,
Brad

I can't imagine being without a table saw, but i am a power tool woodworker.  You certainly don't need a PM2000.  If you get rid of all your big stationary tools and find out you need a TS on occasion, a compact or folding contractor saw can be purchased until you build a shop.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Sell it. Find a friend with a table saw.
Wink

Seriously, it sounds like you have other options for ripping down sheet goods and you don't "need" a table saw very often...
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

If it were me.....

I would keep the saw and cut the rails down. The footprint would go way down. A plywood top would make it into a light duty workbench to serve double duty. Replace one of the wings with a router wing and you are talking triple duty....

You could live without it easy enough though. (But I wouldn't want to)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
If it were me, I'd keep the planer if its a portable (or sell it and buy a portable). The jointer is easily replaced with hand tools, the planer is much more of a workhorse. As for the TS, I could easily live with only a bandsaw and a track saw in its place.
(03-06-2018, 02:31 PM)s9plus20 Wrote: If it were me.....

I would keep the saw and cut the rails down. The footprint would go way down. A plywood top would make it into a light duty workbench to serve double duty. Replace one of the wings with a router wing and you are talking triple duty....

You could live without it easy enough though. (But I wouldn't want to)

Allan

You know best what stuff you need most and what is not needed.  Sell what you do not need and buy good wood to make other nice things.  Do not second guess and have fun with what you have left.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Do you have room for a storage shed? You could install a shed for about $1000/1200.00 . I just finished installing a 7 x10 plastic resin shed from Sunset Sheds for $1200.00. This was total price for piers, lumber and plywood for the foundation etc. If you move the shed could come apart and rebuilt if you wanted to save money.
I would not want to sell any tools that I would need in the future. 
mike
I have a full compliment of power tools, but the table saw is the one I use, much more than any other tool.  I would miss it.  I suppose if you had the right hand saws, that could make up for the lack of a table saw.

Your point about the rental costs is a good one though.  And part of the storage unit shtick is to raise rents once you have the storage unit full.