570#'s of Highly Figured Domestic Hardwood Cutoffs
Hello, my name is Sara Judy and I'm with Northwest Timber in Oregon. We specialize in figured domestic hardwoods and we have a pallet of cut offs we're selling. It's a mix of what we've been working up, available for pick up or we can arrange shipping. There's some Myrtlewood burl (bottom layers), Claro walnut (middle) and Western Big Leaf quilted and curly maple. It's all random, nothing longer than 36" but everything is highly figured. It was being put together when I walked in this morning but I can guarantee the everything in here is fantastic. We don't have bad wood, but this is too small for us to deal with and piece it out but perfect for small projects.

$1500 plus shipping. 

1-541-327-1000 or

sara@nwtimber.com

Attached Files Image(s)

Sara Judy
Myrtle? Drool. Can't get that around here...
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(03-06-2018, 02:41 PM)Northwest Timber Wrote: Hello, my name is Sara Judy and I'm with Northwest Timber in Oregon. We specialize in figured domestic hardwoods and we have a pallet of cut offs we're selling. It's a mix of what we've been working up, available for pick up or we can arrange shipping. There's some Myrtlewood burl (bottom layers), Claro walnut (middle) and Western Big Leaf quilted and curly maple. It's all random, nothing longer than 36" but everything is highly figured. It was being put together when I walked in this morning but I can guarantee the everything in here is fantastic. We don't have bad wood, but this is too small for us to deal with and piece it out but perfect for small projects.

$1500 plus shipping. 

1-541-327-1000 or

sara@nwtimber.com

Wow, $1500 for cutoffs and it doesn't even include shipping.  How about $50 for a bag of my sawdust???
(03-06-2018, 10:38 PM)msalomon Wrote: Wow, $1500 for cutoffs and it doesn't even include shipping.  How about $50 for a bag of my sawdust???
If that is a 4' x 4' pallet and the stack is an average of 48" high, then we have about 614 bd. ft. of very nice lumber, if we factor 20% loss due to gaps between boards in the stack.  That is less than $3 bd. ft., not at all a bad price if you have a use for small pieces. Folks seem to be buying up the short pieces in flat rate boxes here on S&S.

I have about 50 bd. ft. of quilted big leaf maple, which grows everywhere here in western Oregon. It looks like what is shown in the photos and I can tell you it is fantastic stuff, stunning really, far more spectacular than curly maple. When I found mine at an estate sale I called the local Woodcraft and inquired about their price. They had one piece about 8" x 18" x 3/4" for $79. I paid $2 bd. ft., price they were asking. They had a whole front yard literally covered with boards and no one even looking at it.

The seller is about 30 miles from me and I have a pick up truck. But then I do not need it.
The Claro Walnut and Myrtlewood burl alone are going to cost you way more than that, even for shorts.
Seems reasonable as figured lumber is pretty expensive, but there's nowhere near 600bf there. The allet is supposed to weigh 570 lbs and most dense hardwoods would average at least 3 maybe 4 lbs per bf, after drying and hit and miss surfacing.
If we assume that the density of big leaf maple and claro walnut have a density of 35#/cu. ft and 40#/cu. ft respectively and take an average for the whole lot of 37#/cu.ft.  and 12 bdft / cu.ft  I come up with .....   570#/ 37#/cu.ft  = 15.4 cu.ft x 12 bd ft/ cu.ft  = 185 bd/ft of lumber.
so $1500/185bdft = $8.10 /bdft....  That's what I figure it costs per board ft.  Still probably half off what they charge for some of this .  Seems like a good deal if you work with this alot in small pieces rather than taking a large board and cutting it down into small pieces anyway.  
Yes
(03-06-2018, 10:38 PM)msalomon Wrote: Wow, $1500 for cutoffs and it doesn't even include shipping.  How about $50 for a bag of my sawdust???

Based on the size of the pallet and pics, its a screaming good deal. Id be all over it, but the semi over the mountains would kill the deal for me.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(03-07-2018, 06:06 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Based on the size of the pallet and pics, its a screaming good deal. Id be all over it, but the semi over the mountains would kill the deal for me.

My sentiments exactly. Too far away! 
No
But o Lord is that a sweet deal!
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(03-07-2018, 07:18 PM)alanealane Wrote: My sentiments exactly. Too far away! 
No
But o Lord is that a sweet deal!

Living in a claro/ quilted wood desert, I will just have to inquire into it.
BontzSawWorks.net