A Flag Box for a Vet
I was honored to get a text from a Friend of Miss Tina.  Her dad passed the week before the text arrived, and she said she wanted to know if I would make a box for the flag from his funeral.  He was a Navy Vet.  I never hesitated, "Sure." I texted back, "Call me."  We had a short conversation, in which she told me she had always admired my woodworking projects, and wasn't sure I'd be interested, or that she could "afford" my work.

Well, my projects are never simple, I don't do things halfway.  You need to buy the glass, the challenge coins, and order a name plate... and we'll need to decide on a design. 
Uhoh  What?  Yeah, bring the flag and come on by, and we'll chat.  She came over the next day, which happened to be a Saturday, and we sat down and worked out a rough sketch of the box, basing the measurements on the folded flag.  It was much more than she had expected, but not what I would normally have done as the funeral home in Nevada had used a much larger flag than I usually see for a Cremation.

She left (with the flag in hand) and instructions to order the coins and the name plate, but to hold off on the glass until I called her with the measurements.  I couldn't start the actual build until I had the coins and plate in hand, but I could work on the formal drawing.  I got busy over the next couple days and got 'er done.

With the formal layout done, I started working thru the mahogany and chose the key pieces based on the grain and dimensions.  I found I was ONE wide board short for the base, this meant I needed to join a couple. 
Wink  That's always fun.

I got to work and once I had the measurements on the plate and the coins, laid out the pedestal and the flag compartment, with the trim to hold the glass in place.

I used an old trick learned from a friend to avoid errors, and marked each edge needing to be routed with a whisp of blue chalk.  I also labeled the parts with position and orientation.  Later they get labeled in more permanent locations that won't get sanded away.

The base was routed with a Roman Ogee, in multiple passes to avoid tearout.

After cutting the rabbit in the back for the rear panel, there were still corners that needed to be hand cut with the chisel...

The pedestal is almost ready to assemble.

Taped off, stained and assembled...

Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Retaped, flocked, and trim strips were installed.

The rest of the box was assembled.

Then the back was cut out and installed and the box was waxed, the coins and name plate installed.
The glass and flag installed.  Done.

Big Grin

Out of respect, the name and information of the Veteran has been removed from the plate for the pic
Jim in Okie
Cost?  I have done a number of these boxes for friends and family to display the medals and flags of their deceased veterans.  The cost has always been the same.  Send me the name plates and challenge coins and provide the glass when I'm ready.  Unless you want exotic wood, I'll provide the labor and the wood.  I have, in the past, done a couple of the boxes for sales, but rarely.  It's my way of giving back.

Winkgrin

I guess you could say this was the design that started it all.  I made this box for myself, from a chunk of firewood I pulled OFF the log splitter and saved when I saw the grain.  I have had the box for fifteen years and have made another four or five like it over the years... for friends and family.

Smirk

Jim in Okie
Very beautiful work, craftsmanship befitting the purpose. 

I imagine it brings her some peace.
Very nice, I'm sure every one you create is deeply appreciated.

Dave
Beautiful work.
It’s a great honor to be asked to build this important piece.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Thanks all.  Of course there was a lot more involved than I showed here.  I used a few screws for attaching major components, and cut mahogany plugs to hide them, even though they would end up either under the pedestal, or inside the flag compartment AND under the flocking. Lol.  That's just me.

I also used tiny gold brads to insure the glass trim wouldn't shift... didn't have a bit that small.  Clipped the head off a brad, used IT as a tiny bit to drill the pilots thru the trim.  Adapt/overcome.

Lots of sanding, cabinet scraper work... but it all passes the time, and bleeds off the stress.
Jim in Okie
Very nice work and I'm sure the daughter was quite appreciative!
Yes  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
Good on you for doing all that for someone and not charging them. I'm sure she really appreciates the fine workmanship and the fact that you did this out of respect for a fellow veteran.
Jim
The way you describe yourself I thought you were a lot older, but you look young in that picture.  Not more then 29.
Laugh
Wink
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.