Hollowing Assisted with Camera & monitor
Has anyone tried a setup like this?

https://youtu.be/pidLwThKHSw

I am curious if you have to drawn mire than on transparency or if one orientation will get the job done.

Thanks
(03-08-2018, 05:30 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Has anyone tried a setup like this?

https://youtu.be/pidLwThKHSw

I am curious if you have to drawn mire than on transparency or if one orientation will get the job done.

Thanks

That's interesting, but not for me.

I think every time you change the angle or want a different thickness, it would require a new overlay.
(03-08-2018, 08:28 AM)hairy Wrote: I think every time you change the angle or want a different thickness, it would require a new overlay.

that's true but over time you could have a couple different overlays.  or just turn everything to the same wall thickness.  I think it's pretty nifty and one of those dead simple things that would never occur to me, but it makes perfect sense.
I found an insructables page where they modified this process for a McNaughton bowl coring system.
(03-08-2018, 02:42 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I found an insructables page where they modified this process for a McNaughton bowl coring system.

Two friends of mine did one kind of like this but it is with a computer program and a pointer but it has been a few years and I will try to find it.  It is really amazing and works with all hollowing tools.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I built one of these for my Jameson style hollowing system.  I used a backup kit for a car and adapted it for my system.  It came with the same 7" monitor shown in the YOUTube video.  I found that to be too small, but haven't gotten around to replacing it.  I really want to adapt this type of set up to my McNaughton coring rig.  

I do like the camera better than the laser, but a monitor that can function in a dusty environment may be hard to find and a bit pricey.  The commercial system, although pricey, may be a good investment in the long run.
I lucked out and got to see Trent Bosch do a demo at one of the Denver area woodturning clubs when he was introducing this concept of using a camera and monitor rather than a laser. He sells a visualizer system on his website.

I have picked up some plumbing inspection cameras from Amazon and an old laptop to do the mod to my Monster Tools hollowing system, but I have not had the time in the shop to do hollowing in the last couple of years.

The transparency is overlaid on the monitor and the tool and the desired wall thickness are drawn on the transparency. Grease pencil or white board marker can do the lines.

The lines on the transparency get redone every time the cutter gets changed or re-positioned versus the camera.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I made one of these and use it with a jameson hollowing rig, it works great. I only use a small piece of overlay and have drawn 3 or 4 profiles of the cutters I use on it. I hold the overlay on the monitor screen with scotch tape, whenever I change the cutter or adjust it I simply peel the overlay off and reposition it, takes 2 seconds.