Single Stage Dust Collector Upgrade
I am upgrading a single stage dust collector by adding a Thein Baffle and Donaldson or Wynn Enviromental filter.

The output of the impeller module goes to the metal ring that originally held the filter bag and collection bag.

My question is does it matter which way the metal ring is oriented ? Will it matter if I turn it upside down ?

Thanks, Bill
Most of them have a internal baffle intended to direct the duct/ships downward. I suspect your Thein will get most of that stuff ahead of the ring, but there may still be some that needs to drop out. If you have that baffle, you might want to try it out and see....it may still work just fine.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Depends on the ring, some of them have a sort of reduced opening on one side, a donut if you will, you'd want that donut facing UP, towards the filter.

Feel free to post a picture for confirmation/tips.
(03-08-2018, 11:06 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Depends on the ring, some of them have a sort of reduced opening on one side, a donut if you will, you'd want that donut facing UP, towards the filter.

I'm working on the same project, converting a PSI DC2000 single stage DC to add the Wynn and Thien baffle.  I actually just finished up but haven't tested it yet.  Phil, my ring has a funnel shape incorporated into it, if I read your reply above correctly, should the funnel be upside down?  I left it the way it was, which was the way a funnel normally sits, and the baffle is below that.  I'm following the FWW article from March/April 2013 which has the picture below in it.  Is that correct?

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-08-2018, 12:28 PM)Souperchicken Wrote: I'm working on the same project, converting a PSI DC2000 single stage DC to add the Wynn and Thien baffle.  I actually just finished up but haven't tested it yet.  Phil, my ring has a funnel shape incorporated into it, if I read your reply above correctly, should the funnel be upside down?  I left it the way it was, which was the way a funnel normally sits, and the baffle is below that.  I'm following the FWW article from March/April 2013 which has the picture below in it.  Is that correct?

The photo is correct, except for the alignment of the baffle, to the inlet.  You want the inlet to fire over the larger (120-degree) portion of the baffle.  It doesn't seem like the picture makes that very clear.
(03-08-2018, 01:45 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: The photo is correct, except for the alignment of the baffle, to the inlet.  You want the inlet to fire over the larger (120-degree) portion of the baffle.  It doesn't seem like the picture makes that very clear.

I wasn't clear on that from the article, below is the other relevant picture, I took my best guess and clocked the baffle to the pipe inlet as shown in red.  Hopefully not too far off but I figured I could rotate the baffle if I wasn't happy, I should have just asked you since I know you post here. Thanks for the info!

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-08-2018, 11:06 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Depends on the ring, some of them have a sort of reduced opening on one side, a donut if you will, you'd want that donut facing UP, towards the filter.

Phil:

I have what apparently is called a helical orifice. See photo.

I was able to test my configuration with just the impeller and Thein Baffle. It did a very good job of separating virtually all of the dust from a shop vac. Even with the error I had made in cutting the baffle. Instead of 240° I went to 270° with a 1.25" gap. The barrel is a 55 gallon fiber drum with a diameter of 22" Not sure if I should make another baffle with the correct cutout or just leave as is.

Thanks for your response.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

The big effect of a Thien baffle on dust will not be apparent until the bin begins to fill: with a baffle it will stay exactly the same, but without a baffle you would begin to scrub some of the already captured dust back out.  You want the air spinning rapidly up top, since that's what pushes the dust to the outside edge where it can fall through the gap into the bin.  Below the baffle you want the air to not spin fast enough to pick up the dust, particularly when the bin gets closer to full.  If your red rectangle represents the round inlet port, you want to rotate the position of your baffle clockwise about 100 degrees.  That will put it in position to block the entering air from getting below the baffle while it's moving fast in that direction.

I've drawn on your sketch about where you want the inlet to be, relative to the baffle, so the entering air first encounters the closed part of the baffle.  I rotated the inlet because it was easier to draw.  You would rotate the baffle.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks Alan, I'll have to correct my baffle installation.