Need grinder advice
My favorite is the belt grinder since it gets the whole surface at one time, can do it with less heat, and can also be used to polish the surface- not to mention much safer than standing in front of a wheel spinning thousands of RPM's.
Being that these are expensive unless you build your own, I guess the high speed grinder is a good next choice or one of those other ones you mentioned.

Thing is; If you're in a hurry, choose another time to sharpen- taking your time and focusing is most important. Keep the tool cool (I dunk them in water and leave them dripping as I sharpen). Like mentioned, keep the tip of a finger near the edge (carefully) to feel it when it's too hot and needs dunking- unless you have no feeling in that hand, this works best.
When I used a belt grinder and created a flat primary bevel, I would use a honing guide to create a secondary bevel. I find that working with hollow grinds makes it easier to freehand (self rigging and less steel to remove). Your mileage may vary.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(04-06-2019, 10:47 AM)daddo Wrote: My favorite is the belt grinder since it gets the whole surface at one time, can do it with less heat, and can also be used to polish the surface- not to mention much safer than standing in front of a wheel spinning thousands of RPM's.
Being that these are expensive unless you build your own, I guess the high speed grinder is a good next choice or one of those other ones you mentioned.

Thing is; If you're in a hurry, choose another time to sharpen- taking your time and focusing is most important. Keep the tool cool (I dunk them in water and leave them dripping as I sharpen). Like mentioned, keep the tip of a finger near the edge (carefully) to feel it when it's too hot and needs dunking- unless you have no feeling in that hand, this works best.
I have been an advocate of belt grinders for quite a few years..altho I do use other sharpening methods also...Most of the belt grinders in the 1"X30" sizes run at a pretty high FPM..I have a horizontal commercial slow-speed belt grinder but decided to build my own a few years ago, because I already had the materials....There are lots of Youtube videos showing how to build them, but I wanted a horizontal grinder/sander and came up with this idea...It can easily be built of any hard wood, and a skateboard idler wheel, and by anyone with just a little woodworking skill...The belt spins away from the user and at about 1,000FPM..I cut the aluminum on my Rockwell bandsaw with a 6ppi wood cutting blade. { for those who don't know it,  you can easily cut brass or aluminum with a wood cutting blade..just adjust your feed rate appropriately }

The one shown here is my first iteration and I have since simplified the construction...Our friend and fellow Woodnetter Cletus, built one and uses it to keep his knives and tools sharp...Maybe he will post a photo of it also. They work extremely well....

[Image: IMG-0206.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0207.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset