Table Router
My old Hitachi 3 1/4 router dedicated to under table mount is starting to make some strange noises and i'm afraid it may be on it's last legs.  Can't complain, been using it for probably 20 years and it's served it's purpose well.  I have cleaned it good and checked the brushes but think it may be time for a replacement.  Definitely looking for something i can adjust from above the table and also not have to make a bunch of modifications to work properly upside down.  I seem to remember having to remove some springs or guides or something on the Hitachi to use under a table.  I haven't really done a lot of research yet, but seem to recall hearing the Triton was an excellent choice for under table mount.  Would like to have this figured out before the WoodShow in Chantilly later this month.  Any input and advice would be appreciated.  Thanks, Meanderawl
FWW likes the Triton.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/media/RouterTables.pdf

best router for router table use
Thanks for the research source, i'll add it to my list of places to check.  Right now i need to head out to get my taxes done.  Hopefully i'll still be able to be in the market for a new tool when i'm done.  Thanks
The Triton has an odd feature that compliments table use. It has a sliding cover over the power switch that must be retracted to turn it on. While on, the cover stays in the open position, then when you witch it off, the cover closes. So if you put it in a router table that has an external switch, you think you'll just it the router itself switched on, right? Well, the shaft lock will not engage unless that sliding cover is closed. So you have to turn the router itself off to get the shaft to lock allowing bit changes. If you choose to not use an external switch, you're stuck with sliding that gate open to switch it on under the table. Soem folks have said this isn't a problem, but it would be for me (I have a Triton, but it's dedicated to a certain hand held use). But understand, I'm not suggesting you avoid it.....just be aware of this what might be inconvenience.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Probably just needs to have the bearings replaced.
Wood is good. 
I've never understood the whole router table thing.  You build or buy a table, then get a lift and add the router and you are into this for over $1,000.00.

That's more than a dedicated shaper, though admittedly you give up the 1/4" collet capability.:

1/2" and 3/4" collets ($764.00 delivered).
http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-1-2-HP-Shaper/G1035

1/2", 3/4" and 1" collets ($1,410.00 delivered):
http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-HP-Shaper/G1026

Plus 1/4" spindle for the above ($72.00)
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-B...ndle/D3080

The Jet shaper is supposed to be more nicely finished (and more expensive) but it comes with both shaper spindles and the router collets (included)  $1,150.00 + shipping.

http://www.rockler.com/jet-1-5hp-shaper-...4-spindles
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Throw in the cost of the shaper tooling and it comes up quite a bit versus router bits.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
DeWalt router in I think a Rockler router table top with miter bauge t-track already installed plus the fence & router mounting plate for like $140 shipped on sale. 1/2 sheet of 1/2" ply fpr a couple drawers & 1/2 sheet of 3/4" ply for the sides & bottom. 4 casters & a router table for maybe $300. Suits my needs & I'm happy to have it.

A router table can be as elaborate or simple as you need or like. No need for router lifts if that's not your thing. It's all good!!
(03-09-2018, 02:17 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Throw in the cost of the shaper tooling and it comes up quite a bit versus router bits.

I was wondering about that.  My cast iron extension table with raiser and current retail of my 3 HP router is "only" $700.

The other thing is router table set up might be an incremental purchase.  First comes a router then a few bits then you build a table, then you upgrade your router HP.  True cost of router ownership $2000 and up.
A carpenter's house is never done.
I thought I had made it clear, for the cost of a spindle, the shaper can use your 1/4 inch bits. All the shapers will linked will handle 1/2 inch bits. They are easy to hook up to dust collection, and you don’t have to mount and un-mount your router.

The pricy lifts plus a table still don’t make sense to me.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.